Thread: Honey Locust bowl

Honey Locust bowl

Haven't done any turning in a while, till last week. Then I finish turned this bowl I had rough turned from honey locust last fall. I added a walnut lid and a betel nut knob. The finish is walnut oil. It is about 5 inches in diameter,and the walls are about 3/16 inch thick. Almost half the bowl has a dark stain on it, I don't know what caused it, but I would have liked it to cover the whole bowl. The unstained portion doesn't look as good to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Nice job. I think you are looking at heartwood (dark) and sapwood (light).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nathal View Post
    Nice job. I think you are looking at heartwood (dark) and sapwood (light).
    I'm wondering if the stain could be from moisture and/or some fungus. I think the hartwood/sapwood line is typically more sharply defined along a ring boundary.

JKJ

I agree with John, the separation of the heartwood and sapwood will typically be along a growth ring. This meanders through the wood on no particular line.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

It is heartwood and sapwood, where the heartwood stained the sapwood, wood sat probably for a while, staining like that happens with other woods as well, easier to see in Black Walnut, but also in Honey Locust and some other species.

In the first picture you can see the center bowl that I quickly turned from freshly cut Walnut and then dried it quickly, keeping the sapwood near white, the others had sat for just a few days and shows the staining starting to color the white sapwood, on the Honey Locust pot you can also see the staining that happened in bottom part.

staining in Walnut.jpg Sapwood staining.jpg Honey Locust staining.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 07-21-2017 at 3:29 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Beautiful! as always.

Very nice bowls, well done indeed.

I had some Bradford Pear once that had been hit by lightning or something that caused about 1/2 of the trunk to be dead and dark wood versus the lighter live wood. Made for an interesting bowl with light/dark about the middle dividing the bowl. Looking at the endgrain pattern on the light wood, I would suspect that there was something to cause part of the tree to die and have the different color. Does not look like sapwood to me.