Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut Kitchen Table Finish

Sam, have you ever used any of the other colors besides pure? I'm curious as to how much that affects the clarity of the finish? Will they hide the grain and make it look "muddy" like some stains do? I'm going to order some of the $8 sample bottles to try on some pieces. I'm thinking charcoal and pure for now, but curious if you have any other colors you prefer for walnut? Trying to really make a dark top.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Scofield View Post
    Sam, have you ever used any of the other colors besides pure? I'm curious as to how much that affects the clarity of the finish? Will they hide the grain and make it look "muddy" like some stains do? I'm going to order some of the $8 sample bottles to try on some pieces. I'm thinking charcoal and pure for now, but curious if you have any other colors you prefer for walnut? Trying to really make a dark top.
    No I have not tried other colors. I did open up a can of NATURAL that I bought accidentally (was able to exchange). That had a definite white added to it. The intent was to obscure the amber effect of the PURE. I did not try it. Your plan to buy and try samples is excellent. Best way to know what you are up against. My experience is limited to what I have related and to my own reading online and discussion with one other fellow woodworker.

I will welcome any feedback from you. You will be the source of answers to my next batch of questions about MonoCoat .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Depends what lacquer. Brushing lacquer is not very durable at all.

An oil finish may not be durable. An oil varnish finish is durable enough to resist typical spills. But like I Said, plan to refresh it periodically.
    I would spray it.

I'll be using an oil to pop the figure in the oak.

Apologies to the OP but I think this might help him, too.

I meant brushing lacquer as a product like Watco Brushing Laqcuer. It can be sprayed but I don't find it durable at all.

If you want to spray, then consider some of the waterbased Enduro products like Clear Poly (which I have used and like and can vouch for) and Endurovar, which gets high reviews from its users.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Yes the price is painful when considering the amount in the can BUT it goes a long way.
    This is what I was counting on. I'm not one to pinch pennies to get a superior result, thanks. BTW, the butternut shoe bench is wonderful.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler