Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vises

Vises

I think my next project is going to be a new workbench. Last year I bought a Bally Block 24" x 60" maple top. I want to build something similar to the FWW design from the 2004 annual tools edition.

I've been looking at vise options. I will likely use my Record knock off on the right end and I wanted to put a second vise on the left front corner. Since this bench will be used for planing and dovetailing I would like a vise that has a nice size jaw. So the question is should I go with a traditional shoulder vise or something like the Anant (Record knock off).

Any other workbench suggestions would also be helpful.

Thanks, Mike

Traditionally, the tail vise would occupy the front right corner (for a right handed user) and the front vise would be on the front left corner. I built mine this way, and find it works well.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Traditionally, the tail vise would occupy the front right corner (for a right handed user) and the front vise would be on the front left corner. I built mine this way, and find it works well.
    So, are you saying that for us leftys the tail vice should be on the front left side and the front vise on the right side? I don't think I have seen one built that way, but since I am about as left handed as they come, and I will be building a new workbench as my next major project, I really want to know!!
    (I am really not trying to steal this thread!)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry,

You are correct ------opposite

Lefty's usually have the tail on the left; face vise on the right. But, I imagine, it's all in what you are use to............

My vote would be for the LN face vise; or the LV twin-screw as a front vise------along with the traditional tail vise.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    So, are you saying that for us leftys the tail vice should be on the front left side and the front vise on the right side? I don't think I have seen one built that way, but since I am about as left handed as they come, and I will be building a new workbench as my next major project, I really want to know!!
    (I am really not trying to steal this thread!)

Yup; that is what I am saying. I am right handed, and push a plane with my right hnad, guiding with my left. So, I work from right to left, with the wood to my right, and push towards the dog and away from the tail vise. You would do the opposite, being a lefty. Problem is, not many companies sell left handed vises.
    Alan Turner

Alan - that was what I was planning on. The tail vise for me would be the metal Record knock-off that I have. The front vise would be either another Record style or a large shoulder vise like the LN quick release. I would mount the should vise on the front left and the Record (tail) on the right end.

So any preference between the Record style metal vise versus the traditional wood shoulder vise (LN)?

Also, for the apron are dovetails preferred over finger joints?

Mike

Michael,
    The LN -- http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=quick -- is the same mechanism that is on the old Richards Wilcox vises, of which I have 4, and one in use now. It works well. Very quick. LN is spendy, but it will be good hardware I am sure. As to the question on the record metal vise as a tail viase, I am not sure of what you are speaking of. I have now built three traditional tail vises, one with the hardware from Woodcraft, and two from Atlas, in Canada. The Woodcraft was better hardware, I think. Fewer TPI, which is important. Like Frank Klaus, I want an electric winder on my tail vise. The LN tail vise hdw. looks great, from Germany I think, but again is quite expensive.
    Alan Turner

Alan - Actually it would not be a tail vise but just mounted on the side end of the bench not the front.

Mike

Michael,
    The LN -- http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=quick -- is the same mechanism that is on the old Richards Wilcox vises, of which I have 4, and one in use now. It works well. Very quick. LN is spendy, but it will be good hardware I am sure. As to the question on the record metal vise as a tail viase, I am not sure of what you are speaking of. I have now built three traditional tail vises, one with the hardware from Woodcraft, and two from Atlas, in Canada. The Woodcraft was better hardware, I think. Fewer TPI, which is important. Like Frank Klaus, I want an electric winder on my tail vise. The LN tail vise hdw. looks great, from Germany I think, but again is quite expensive.
    Like Alan says..........I'm sure the LN vise is excellent. It's what I'd get.

I've been to our local Woodcraft many times and look as those vises. You may save $20 by getting one of theirs.........but that is trivial $$$--- you'll have the vise for the rest of your life. Eat at home a couple extra meals next week and you've covered the cost........

Alan - Dude; you know your stuff!!!

If I go with a traditional shoulder the LN would be my first choice. I trust their judgement on tool quality. That's partly why I have no money!

Michael:

I think Bob Key's discussion of vise options at http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/benches.htm is excellent. There is a good summary table about 1/2-way down the page.

Note that what you (and LN) refer to as a shoulder vise, he calls a "Continental Style Vise", while he uses "shoulder vise" to refer to a vise like the one on Klausz' bench in the Landis book.

I researched the availability of tail vise hardware some time ago, and will start again as I need a bunch of it. The LN is great, it seems, and may be the best in that it included what looks like a welded "U" frame which should promote stability, but the price of 10 is staggering. The best thing about the LN is the 2-3TPI design. The Atlas looks like a Record screw, acme thread, at 8 TPI. This is way too fine for a vise, IMHO, as it takes forever to wind and unwind. Feels like when I used to start a model airplane by hand. Sweat a bit, and keep winding. Live and learn. That vise is pictured on Ron Kanter's post some time ago as he and I built a pair in my basement, one for him, and one for the new studio.

I might well shy away from using a fornt vise as a tail vise. YOu end up actually planing on the tail vise as you start a plane cut, and so starting on a metal vise, then traversing open space, would not work well on thinner stock because of deflection. Just my 2 cents.
    Alan Turner

I researched the availability of tail vise hardware some time ago, and will start again as I need a bunch of it...
    Alan,
    You may want to look into just building your tail vises and use only the tail vise screw for hardware. I build my last bench vise like that, using a model for one of the tail vices in the workbench book. I can't remember off the top of my head which one it was, but mine was identical with the exception of the sliding mechanism, which I ended up using a sliding dovetail and the other was just a straight joint. It was very sturdy and, I thought, opened and closed quickly enough. But the only thing I ever found myselft using it for was for marking dovetails so I opted for not using one on the new bench. Just faster to plane against a dog, than clamping between a dog and another in a vise
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Alan good point of the tail vise.

I checked with LN yeaterday and the QR shoulder vise is only in stock sporadically. Since I don't need one right away, they are going to hold one for me. They have offered to bring it to the Chantilly show in March. I might have them ship it sooner depending on when I get started on the bench.

Mike

Steve,
    I have been considering that option as well, although I have not made such a vise before.

Does anyone have a good source for proper lead screws?
    Alan Turner