Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uses for wood shavings and sawdust?

I used to get a lot of wood shavings, turning smaller items and returning rough-outs there isn’t as much anymore.

My use for the shavings was that some of it went with the higher nitrogen greens (grass etc) in the composting pile, then some as mulch over flower beds.

But most would go to a friend who had a hobby farm with chickens, ducks, turkeys, he would spread some around in the ren and also in the nest cages, we would get nice and colored eggs in return
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 07-23-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Have fun and take care

I always till some into my garden, mix with composting cow manure sometimes and in the winter I will sometimes throw a shovel full on the driveway for traction.

Small yard and little interest from the local community and as a result most of mine finds it's way to the recycling plant near by where it is added to soils etc that are then sold back to the consumers. At least I can drop it there for free. Sometimes when roughing I get up to 20 LARGE bags which would provide about 2" thick coverage of my lot!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Brian, when you fill gopher holes with shavings, does it cause them to move out ? Or are you just irritating them?
    Unfortunately, it just fills the holes and nothing more. I built owl-boxes for the church, which ended up being hawk and kestrel and owl nest. I may do the same at home. Also, Escondido has a feral cat adoption program. I would love to have several of these outdoor cats watching over the yard for an opportune moment.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Fill old egg cartons with them and then pour in melted candle wax or paraffin to make nice fire starters. They work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Fill old egg cartons with them and then pour in melted candle wax or paraffin to make nice fire starters. They work great.
    Good idea Greg. I'll give that a try.

I thought this too was an interesting idea used by Ishtani.

Sometimes I use it to solidify paint in cans I want to trash, mulch the rest. I know someone who used hardwood sawdust in an indusrial-sized smoker for a commercial sausage business.

I give a lot of my domestic hardwood chips to our pottery friends who do Raku work for the reduction part of the process. Other stuff goes in the yard debris pile down behind the pond.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I give my saw dust and shavings to an egg farmer and they use it for bedding, sometimes they give me eggs, chicken as well as duck eggs.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Two or three plastic grocery bags stuffed with shavings and tied shut make excellent packing material.