Thread: Reclaimed Walnut, Reclaimed Mahogany anyone??

Reclaimed Walnut, Reclaimed Mahogany anyone??

I have a client after reclaimed walnut or Mahogany. I am having a tough time finding any. There is no budget, I am in Georgia and I know there is none to be found in my area. I have seen reclaimed mahogany a couple times but I have never seen walnut in my area. I am calling any reclaimed stores I can find out in the mid west thinking maybe some barns were built with it out that way.. Anyone have any leads for me?

Quote Originally Posted by David Boardman View Post
    I have a client after reclaimed walnut or Mahogany. I am having a tough time finding any. There is no budget, I am in Georgia and I know there is none to be found in my area. I have seen reclaimed mahogany a couple times but I have never seen walnut in my area. I am calling any reclaimed stores I can find out in the mid west thinking maybe some barns were built with it out that way.. Anyone have any leads for me?
    How do you define reclaimed?

Your request lacks some detail. Exactly what form is wanted? You mentioned barn wood - is he looking for large weathered beams or 4/4 or 2by lumber? Barns in TN were certainly built with walnut. When I pulled the roof off one of my old barns I found walnut, poplar, chestnut, pine, cedar, oak - looks like they used anything that was in the woods. How much is this guy looking for, a little piece, a board, or a truck load?

The only salvageable mahogany I've seen was in old furniture being discarded. I do have a supply of mahogany "salvaged" from a woodworker's leftovers but I don't know if I would call it reclaimed.

Does "there is no budget" mean he is looking for it for free? Since people have been making crafty things from barn wood finding it free is harder unless you find a decrepit barn and offer to dismantle it (big job). I still give people a board or two of barn wood but my stash is dwindling and I doubt if I have any walnut left.

JKJ

8/4 or round abouts on the thickness. The boards will be bottom planed and then lightly hand planed on the top to create a "flat" surface. He wants nail holes and saw marks. No budget means he doesn't care what it costs. I told him to expect it to cost a bit over double the price of non reclaimed walnut, if I can find it. I have found a couple leads on the mahogany actually. The biggest being boat yards up north. Basically I am looking for 100 bf of 8/4 of either material. I have private freight companies that travel all over the east that do contract work with me to have it picked up, I just need to find it!

There is a company in Berkeley, California that tears down old houses and such in Indonesia and brings the used lumber to the USA. They then make teak furniture from the scrap lumber.
    As a kid our family saw a big teak log washed up on the beach in California. It looked a lot like redwood but it was not. Only 3 feet diameter or so less then twenty feet long, sawcut as I remember.
    Bill D

Duluth timber co.??? Worth a look

Blog Entries
    You might try this one: http://www.revientreclaimedwood.com/ They are in North Carolina. Another to try is www.mountainlumber.com Don't know if either one can help you but worth a try.

I buy salvaged sinker-log mahogany from Greener Lumber in Macon, MO. Not sure if that meets your idea of reclaimed.

Here is someone buying maybe they sell as well?
    http://www.thewoodenduck.com/V2/woodpurchasing.php