Thread: Dating Hardy Boys books

Dating Hardy Boys books

I'm currently in delete mode and have been selling off books, tools, etc. I have a pair of Hardy Boys books I've had for several years and would like to determine the age, edition, printing, etc. They are the earliest, red cover editions with white end papers. There are no dust jackets although must of had them for some time as the red is not faded to speak of. The titles of both books are also the last listed titles inside in a list of Hardy boys books to purchase. From my understanding this may indicate a 1st printing. Copyright dates are listed as 1928 on one and 1930 on the other.
    They're actually in remarkable condition, especially considering the age. Can anyone shed light on a publication or link to determine things further?
    Here's a picture of them;
    Mac

IMG_0004.jpgIMG_0008.jpg
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 07-22-2017 at 9:54 AM.

Those are likely first editions, The Great Airport Mystery was #9 in the series and the first edition had 210 pages. I've seen that edition selling online for $12-14. The other, The Shore Road Mystery, was #6 in the series and the first edition had 212 pages. I've seen it selling for about $22 in several places, with one person trying to get $50. That's trying, nobody says they'll get that price. You're not going to get rich selling them, I have virtually the entire original series, mostly in first edition, and they're just not worth much, especially without the dust jacket.

There's a lot of valuable information here, if you're interested: http://hardyboys.us/hbos.htm#06
    Last edited by Brian Henderson; 07-21-2017 at 5:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Those are likely first editions, The Great Airport Mystery was #9 in the series and the first edition had 210 pages. I've seen that edition selling online for $12-14. The other, The Shore Road Mystery, was #6 in the series and the first edition had 212 pages. I've seen it selling for about $22 in several places, with one person trying to get $50. That's trying, nobody says they'll get that price. You're not going to get rich selling them, I have virtually the entire original series, mostly in first edition, and they're just not worth much, especially without the dust jacket.

There's a lot of valuable information here, if you're interested: http://hardyboys.us/hbos.htm#06
    Brian,
    Thanks for the link and information. I'm not a collector and only have the McFarlane editions which I enjoyed reading more than the revised items. I'm only into the Red books for $4 each, my interest is in describing the books accurately to a possible buyer. BTW the page count is same as you mentioned for first editions. I did discover a longer list of titles in the back of the books, these may not be 1st printings, not sure how to determine this. I'll do more research, thanks.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    Brian,
    Thanks for the link and information. I'm not a collector and only have the McFarlane editions which I enjoyed reading more than the revised items. I'm only into the Red books for $4 each, my interest is in describing the books accurately to a possible buyer. BTW the page count is same as you mentioned for first editions. I did discover a longer list of titles in the back of the books, these may not be 1st printings, not sure how to determine this. I'll do more research, thanks.

Mac
    The page count didn't change until the 1959 revised printings, but yes, if there is a list for more than 6 or 9 books, they can't be first printings. I think they did 5 books in the first 2-3 years, then another book a year for about 50 years.

The page count didn't change until the 1959 revised printings, but yes, if there is a list for more than 6 or 9 books, they can't be first printings. I think they did 5 books in the first 2-3 years, then another book a year for about 50 years.
    Interesting enough the list is for (9) books on each ending in "The Mystery of Cabin Island".....
    Mac
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-22-2017 at 1:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    Interesting enough the list is for (9) books on each ending in "The Mystery of Cabin Island".....
    Mac
    Which was published in 1929 as book #8. So clearly, Shore Road Mystery isn't a first printing but the other one could be.

Which was published in 1929 as book #8. So clearly, Shore Road Mystery isn't a first printing but the other one could be.
    I came up with basically the same conclusion. At this point, both first editions, one 1st printing and one 2nd printing. Thanks for the help, just what I was hoping to find.
    Mac