Thread: centauro compact 450 bandsaw

centauro compact 450 bandsaw

Any one know anything about these saws ? Curious as to where they fit in the world of Italian saws ? 450 would be about 17.5'' correct ? I have found a used one and am considering looking at it for a possible upgrade. Thanks ,Mike.

They fit right in there with ACM and Aggazani saws.

Centauro saws are marketed by MiniMax in the USA.

You're really going to have to check it out as some early MM models s45 saws had weak motors and dodgy switches. Solid brand , but what's important is the condition and price of the actual saw you are contemplating.

I figured out this is a 450 NL model. I can't find anything online that explains the where this saw fits in Centauros lineup.

Mike - what exactly are you trying to determine ? This saw is one of Centauro's smaller sized offerings. They have a 400mm or 16" saw, but I don't think they go smaller.

It should have standard euro guides and a 1-2 hp motor. They don't play games with lower specd / Asian made models.

Like I said previously: what are this particular saw's specifications ? What HP motor does it have? A Baldor or Leeson motor would be better than the Italian motor it orig. shipped with. More HP would be better than less. A rust bucket or one splattered with paint or filled with metal shavings would be less attractive than a shiny looking hobbyist's saw. Does it include any blades ? Are they any good ? Has the switch been replaced ? What condition are the tires in? You won't easily replace these yourself if you can even do it. Are wheel bearings in good shape ? is there any kind of mobility built in ? Are blade guides all nicked up ?

You should be more focused on the condition and price rather than where this model started life in Centauro's pecking order. It's more saw than most people need assuming it's in good condition. For comparison, a new S45 goes for around $2500. A used one sold near me 5-6 years ago for $450, and I've seen $1800 asking prices on them too.

Dave I am simply trying to figure out if it is way better than the Steel City 18''50250 that I currently own. I get all the condition stuff. I will have to drive about 3.5 hours to go see this saw,so am trying to figure out more about it. I know centauro makes minimax saws,here in Alberta we do not see very many if any used. A new one is about 4500 to 5000 for the s400p. I have decided that if I upgrade any of my tools I only want one more of anything. Tired of constantly looking at something else. THis saw had a 1.5 h.p. three phase motor and a foot brake. I am curious as to the build ,how heavy ,would it be stiff enough to resaw well. So I guess I was hoping someone would chime in and tell me some first hand information about one of these units.

IMHO you look and think about a Centauro the same way you would think about a Minimax/SCMI saw of the same size. I own a 24" Centauro and it is every bit as good or well made as a Minimax. Of course each brand changes with the model year and specs of the saw. The motor size, resaw height, weight etc.

To your question about how does this saw stack up against the Steel City 18" saw, this saw will be a much better saw. Not saying anything against Steel City, it's just a better saw.

Now, what you have to do is figure out if it's a better saw for you, and no one can do that for you. Check out it's features and conditions. If it's in good condition, the motor is large enought to suit you and the resaw height is adequate then go for it. I know you can download a manual for Minimax bandsaws. Not sure if you can for Centauro but I would try that. They are great, not good, bandsaws.

If you are looking for your last saw, and plan on resawing in any serious way, wait for a 24" Centauro. The MM 400 is designed specifically for MM as a small resaw. The Centauro smalaler saws will not be built in the same way. They will be closer to an ACM 400 which is not a resaw either. Fine saws but not primarily as a resaw. The Centauro 600 or ACM 640 are the first pretty serious resaw sizes, particularly in used steel machines. Dave

Thanks for the information guys, I am currently working away from home for the entire week and home on weekends,hence the delay in my reply. I want to go look at this saw but in reality I may not get to. We have a good friends daughter getting married next weekend. We shall see. Thanks,mike.

John has hit the nail on the head. The Centauro started life as better saw.

Heavier frame = more tension on the blade.
    Stiffer post means less deflection on the upper blade guides.
    Better QC and castings.
    Resaw height is probably the same.

But, is it a better saw for you ???
    If you don't have three phase power, probably not.
    if you are planning on really getting into resawing with a carbide blade , neither saw is likely to make you happy. But for different reasons.