Thread: Craftsman 5c parts

Craftsman 5c parts

So to make a short story long. I got my first plane at the market where fleas are sold. A craftsman with 5c on the side. Everything was there (cracked tote and all) except that brass blade adjustment knob and stud. I mean it's my first plane, how would I know. So I made a new tote however the blade adjustment is giving me the run around. In my research I found the whole left hand thread thing. Go on eBay pick up a brand new adjuster and threaded rod. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the frog. Curses! Off to the hardware store where they have tons of bolts. The only thing I find that even remotely fits... drum roll.... 1/4" 28 tpi right handed thread. Has ANYONE ever hear this? Is there some dungeon somewhere where I can sell my soul for and adjustment knob? Or am I going to have to dust off my metal working skills and make one on the lathe? And I thank you for your support.

Would depend on who made the plane for Sears....Stanley..Millers Falls, or Sargent. Each used a different thread size. Now..IF you can find a frog from a junker #4 that would match the base of your #5 plane...you could swap out the frogs. Might even keep the bolts, in case they can be re-used.

Welcome to the Creek, it would be best if were able to find out what model your plane is, this is a good place to start

http://www.timetestedtools.net/2017/...es-start-page/

Finding out what model you have and the hunt will be so much easier.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Malakoff; 07-22-2017 at 7:59 AM.

Stanley did quite a number on us poor users by using different threads, rotations, and sizes throughout the years. To find a match quickly--that's the rub. Yes, you will find one eventually. It'd be much cheaper to make contact with a person with parts than to keep buying parts at random. Of course, going the machinist route and making one is definitely a winner--if you can reproduce the thread and rotation.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Eric and welcome to the Creek.

Do you have a way to post some pictures of this plane?

Usually a good image of the lateral adjuster and the area around the front knob can help to identify the maker.

Here is a pasted together image that might help:

Lateral Adjuster ID.jpg

Hopefully it comes through okay. Stanley did use different laterals over time, but many of their planes had what is called the "tiller." It is the little wing that is pressed into the long part and protrudes below like a boat tiller. Union and Ohio tool companies used a twist design. Sargent folded over two sides of their adjuster and Millers Falls only has a single bent piece angling down.

Most American made planes use a left hand threaded adjustment bolt.

If you are in my area I'm willing to let you come see if I have anything that works. My parts are almost all Stanley. I am not sure if I still have any other makers parts.

My advice to anyone who wants to fettle metal is to obtain a thread gauge. Another alternative is to get a good rule or a linen tester to count the threads on fasteners.

If a thread gauge isn't in the cards, it is also possible to buy a single fastener of different thread counts and use them for comparison.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)