Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing dried lumber in high humid ambient

When I worked for the USDA 25 years ago I learned some government agencies insisted the pallets be made from kiln dried wood. This was mainly the military who had automated warehouses. The wood had to be kiln dried before the pallet was made but they did not care if it sat outside in a puddle and was soaking wet when it shipped. Government research shows that kiln dried wood is pretty stable after it is kiln dried.
    Bill
    Modesto, CA
    The RH has been in the low 20's all last week but about 100 degrees. I let fence wood dry about 1-2 weeks outside before building a fence.

2. One of the ways I have gotten around some wood issues (think table glue-ups, or raised panel cabinet inserts) is to rip pieces into more narrow pieces, such as 2.5-3". Then, especially if ripped from the same piece of wider stock, alternate the face sides. Essentially, flip a couple pieces the opposite way, upside down, as they were ripped from the board. This really does serve to help the wood be more dimensionally stable. I am certain most of you know this "trick", but it has helped me on some finicky projects.

Other than that, the only other "trick" I use is to seal all edges of the wood, even if they'll never see the light of day. This helps the wood maintain a uniform moisture content throughout, which is half the battle.

Blog Entries
    I live in Galveston County, Texas, 15-20 miles from Galveston Bay. I store my wood in the attached garage which is my shop.

I store my wood in a wall rack or some of it leaning against the wall. I use to check the moisture content of my wood, but never had an issue.

I buy my wood from indoor yards and buy seasoned wood. I don't experience any issues. Of course my shop is frequently too warm to work.

If you start with dry lumber and work in a shop, air conditioned or not, I would not expect issues, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Gonsalves View Post
    One of the ways I have gotten around some wood issues (think table glue-ups, or raised panel cabinet inserts) is to rip pieces into more narrow pieces, such as 2.5-3". Then, especially if ripped from the same piece of wider stock, alternate the face sides. Essentially, flip a couple pieces the opposite way, upside down, as they were ripped from the board. This really does serve to help the wood be more dimensionally stable. I am certain most of you know this "trick", but it has helped me on some finicky projects.
    This certainly can be effective...as long as you ( or the client if you are building for others) is fine with the altered look that narrower stock brings to the panel. For "me", it wouldn't work because of my profound affection for wide boards.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    When I worked for the USDA 25 years ago I learned some government agencies insisted the pallets be made from kiln dried wood. This was mainly the military who had automated warehouses. The wood had to be kiln dried before the pallet was made but they did not care if it sat outside in a puddle and was soaking wet when it shipped. Government research shows that kiln dried wood is pretty stable after it is kiln dried.
    Bill
    Modesto, CA
    The RH has been in the low 20's all last week but about 100 degrees. I let fence wood dry about 1-2 weeks outside before building a fence.
    Bill, typically the requirement for KD wood for pallets is related to sterilized wood - not MC%.