Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning upgrades, many

Bill, great to see your visit was worthwhile and congrats on the new toys!!

I don't always subscribe to the philosophy of "better tools make for a better craftsman", but in the case of a lathe I do agree. That is the one stationary tool in my shop that I spend hours on. Most all table saws, band saws, etc. are the same height and operate the same way - yes, there are differences in quality, vibration, and so forth, but one normally spends just a few minutes cutting whatever needs to be cut. Perhaps multiple pieces, but still, the amount of time and the ergonomics are much different than for a lathe.

If a lathe fits you, and the ergonomics of the machine are right, then it most certainly can make you a better turner! My Revo 1836 changed the way I turn and has provided the ability to do things I could not do on my Jet 1642-2.

Left click my name for homepage link.

John,
    Could you expand on how the new lathe has changed the way you turn??

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Bill, great to see your visit was worthwhile and congrats on the new toys!!

I don't always subscribe to the philosophy of "better tools make for a better craftsman", but in the case of a lathe I do agree. That is the one stationary tool in my shop that I spend hours on. Most all table saws, band saws, etc. are the same height and operate the same way - yes, there are differences in quality, vibration, and so forth, but one normally spends just a few minutes cutting whatever needs to be cut. Perhaps multiple pieces, but still, the amount of time and the ergonomics are much different than for a lathe.

If a lathe fits you, and the ergonomics of the machine are right, then it most certainly can make you a better turner! My Revo 1836 changed the way I turn and has provided the ability to do things I could not do on my Jet 1642-2.

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    John,
    Could you expand on how the new lathe has changed the way you turn??
    Not to steal John's thunder, but as a newer owner of a Revo 1836 (read John's great reviews), I will take a stab at this from my viewpoint. I am tall and never had a proper lathe, especially never one that was high enough -- until I installed the Revo 3 inch risers... Being able to get up close and personal while turning does make a difference. I attribute the improvement to better tool positioning and stance with the spindle at my elbows. And the Revo is so smooth and quiet, it lets me focus more on what the tool is doing.

And I agree with John that we spend more time at the lathe than say a table saw or planer... What's more, my time spent at the lathe is creative -- I rarely know how a piece will turn out before starting to turn... the final shape just kind of reveals itself as the shavings spool off into the air. (Guess that is why I am so hooked on turning... )

I did have one minor issue with the new lathe height. Sometimes when turning from the extreme left side of a spindle, the motor would "mysteriously" lose power and slow down.... I soon figured out that my arm was resting against the headstock and inadvertently turning down the speed control! Once identified, it was quickly fixed by replacing the nice, big Revo knob with a smaller one from my woodburner (which now has the big brushed silver knob).

So, for me, having the lathe at the proper height made a big improvement in my turning -- and it's just plain fun! (Interested in hearing John's reply, as well...)

Ely

Ely,
    How tall aare you? I'm 6'1" and considering the Revo but think i would need the riser blocks. Dave

Allen, Ely covered a lot of what makes the Revo a game changer, but one of the main things for me has been the ability to mount the bed extension on the low position expanding my turning capacity to 32". I doubt I would ever use that much swing, but I have done a few 18-20" platters that were turned on the offset requiring a swing of around 22" and a substantial amount of stability in the lathe. I also have a couple of 25" platter blanks I intend to turn. The Revo provides the swing and solid stance needed for these.

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, to say the visit was worthwhile is an understatement. I learned a lot (and forgot some). Just to see your beautiful platters and turnings was fantastic. And the tips you provided was greatly appreciated. Being able to use you Monster articulating arm was a great help in understanding how the system worked. Even though I chose the Hope system it may have been the best choice. On the Monster site it said a 6 week lead time. However their site is no longer up and not sure if they quit producing systems. I have been playing around with my system before finishing the big leaf maple piece you sent home with me. The more I look at that piece the more I like it and don't want to mess it up. I wanted to see (practice) how thin I could hollow. I was able to hollow this piece down to 0.035". It is 5-1/2" tall and 4" at the widest point. Wood is boxelder. The final weight is 2.1 oz. I'm thinking about 3/16+ is an ideal thickness. I'll play a bit more before putting the big leaf maple blank on.
    IMG_1011.JPG

Regarding the lathe. My previous lathe was a PM 90. Originally it was a 12" swing. The floor to spindle height was 42-1/2. I turned on that for about a year. I then raised the lathe to have a 18" swing. This also raise the floor to spindle height to 45-1/2". I could tell the difference. It made how I hold the chisels more uncomfortable. The Laguna got me back to the 42" height. Other features I got was reverse, better speed range, more stability (the PM 90 only has a 16-12" base). To sum it up, I highly respect the PM 90 and great experience in learning about that lathe that will be around for another 50 years, but the Laguna is much more comfortable and has features I did not have with the PM 90. I didn't get the bed extension that will allow up to 32" swing at this time, but will be available when I decide I want it. So being comfortable and with more capability, I guess I am a better turner.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Carey View Post
    Ely,
    How tall aare you? I'm 6'1" and considering the Revo but think i would need the riser blocks. Dave

Hi Dave -- I am 6' 4" so you may be OK without... I do also have the footpads screwed out about two inches or so.... Being tall is good for seeing over a crowd, but we really pay when it comes to coach air travel!

Have fun! Ely

How do you move that baby around? I had a wheeled frame but it got in the way of my toe room. Didn't try installing trailer jacks but did get hydraulic table on sale at Harbor Freight, which makes the occasional move very easy.