Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Veritas combination plane.

Veritas combination plane.

Here is the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyTH78e7ZXA

Looks like it is pretty expensive but impressive. I have no projects yet on this. I am sure will own it in the future.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-23-2017 at 12:52 PM. Reason: fixed title

Thanks John. I hadnt seen that vid. It's $399 with one blade and others are roughly $20 each. Too bad I already have a small plow and paid the $60 for the recent upgrade. I'm not sure I need everything the combo plane offers, but it sure looks like a capable tool.

They said it's based on the early Stanley 45 - I wonder if the blades would fit? (It shares several with the existing plow but has several unique-to-it blades. I dont know much about the 45, maybe the shared blades already do.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

They said it's based on the early Stanley 45 - I wonder if the blades would fit? (It shares several with the existing plow but has several unique-to-it blades. I dont know much about the 45, maybe the shared blades already do.)
    According to Rob Lee, the 45/55, and record 405 blades will fit

Blog Entries
    To my eyes it looks like a new and improved version of the Stanley #45. At least it looks like it will be more comfortable to use.

Anther items of interest, at first there doesn't seem to be a slitter. This isn't a big deal on the #45, however it can be handy. Though looking at the slitters on the skates looks like they may be substantial enough to do similar tasks. Makes me wonder if this can be used to cut accurate slots for inlay?

Comparing the price of this to a Stanley #45 is a bit of a stretch. Especially considering the Veritas Large Plow Plane will arrive at your door ready for business. A #45 may arrive in great shape, but even if it is mint the blades are likely to need some sharpening. Besides, the Veritas will come with customer service.

My #45s have worked well for me over the years, but part of my enjoyment of them has been the tinkering and learning the ins and outs of sharpening various blades. They have always been forgiven for my inattention to the details of their quirks causing mistakes while working a piece.

From the video it looks like blades for the #45 will fit about the same they do in the Veritas Small Plow Plane. There may be something not shown in the video. The Small Plow can be seen here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...all-Plow-Plane

People have been using planes with hand set blades for centuries before built in adjusters came on the scene. The price of a Stanley blade is going to be close to the price of a new blade so this won't be much of a deal killer for folks who do not already own a #45.

Also posted in the thread were these links:

If you are keen to read more about the Small Plow ...

Review and comparison with Records #044 and #043 (2007): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...w%20Plane.html

Accessory Blades (T&G) (2012): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...SmallPlow.html

The Small Plow as a Beading Plane (2016): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...dingPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    August is almost here.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-22-2017 at 1:08 PM. Reason: There may be something not shown in the video.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    People have been using planes with hand set blades for centuries before built in adjusters came on the scene. The price of a Stanley blade is going to be close to the price of a new blade so this won't be much of a deal killer for folks who do not already own a #45.
    I know I'm going to end up getting one of these but... the fact that it has adjusters not only for the blade but also for both depth stops and the fence just seems gratuitous.

I'm imagining the design meeting: "All right you hosers [*] we only have 14 brass knobs. Let's see what we can we do to add a few more, eh?"

[*] Yes, I am aware that Real Canadians (tm) do not talk like Bob and Doug McKenzie (for the most part).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 07-22-2017 at 2:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I know I'm going to end up getting one of these but... the fact that it has adjusters not only for the blade but also for both depth stops and the fence just seems gratuitous.

[edited]
    Two of the brass knobs control the depth stop. Yes it is possible to set the depth stop without a threaded adjuster. A threaded adjuster makes for a very controlled adjustment. Same with the adjuster on the fence. This works so well my early Stanley #45 was upgraded by purchasing a replacement fence on ebay, that's four brass knobs. Two more are to adjust and secure the blade and one to clamp the auxiliary depth stop makes seven. There are six to control the parallel rods which accounts for thirteen. Finally there is a mystery bolt:

Mystery Bolt?.png

Most likely it is to secure a blade without the movable fence installed. This would be especially necessary with thin blades like 1/8".

The #45 has pretty much all the same adjustments.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-22-2017 at 2:29 PM. Reason: The #45 has pretty much all the same adjustments.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks John. I hadnt seen that vid. It's $399 with one blade and others are roughly $20 each. Too bad I already have a small plow and paid the $60 for the recent upgrade. I'm not sure I need everything the combo plane offers, but it sure looks like a capable tool.

The guy in the video says it "comes with a large assortment of blades", or something to that affect. I wonder how many come with. He had two large boxes of blades.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    The guy in the video says it "comes with a large assortment of blades", or something to that affect. I wonder how many come with. He had two large boxes of blades.
    At ~2:40 he says the price and that it comes with one blade. Not sure if the buyer gets to choose.

Another note from watching the video a second time. The auxiliary depth stop is also equipped with a threaded adjuster and a locking bolt so that makes one more brass knob for a total of fifteen.

jtk

I comes with the ¼” A2 plow blade. All other blades are additional cost. I just bought a set from the Stanley 55 and may buy a few if really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    At ~2:40 he says the price and that it comes with one blade. Not sure if the buyer gets to choose.

Another note from watching the video a second time. The auxiliary depth stop is also equipped with a threaded adjuster and a locking bolt so that makes one more brass knob for a total of fifteen.

jtk
    You missed a couple. At 1:21 he says that there are 17 brass knobs. You can tell from the way he chuckles under his breath as he says it that they recognized the humor potential.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 07-22-2017 at 9:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    You missed a couple. At 1:21 he says that there are 17 brass knobs. You can tell from the way he chuckles under his breath as he says it that they recognized the humor potential.
    Okay, both micro adjust fence rods have a locking bolt and there is one on the main stock in the blade area. Not sure what the last one is intended to do. Maybe a lateral lock on the blade? This would be helpful if the plane is being used for stopped work.

It is one brassy plane.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Yeah, he started to say what it comes with and then transitioned into what blades are compatible from their other plane and what blades fit this plane only without ever detailing what you get exactly. That information would make a huge difference in deciding on this plane or not. If it comes with one or two blades the price seems a bit much. But if it comes with one of those boxes of blades then it's almost a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K. Johnson View Post
    Yeah, he started to say what it comes with and then transitioned into what blades are compatible from their other plane and what blades fit this plane only without ever detailing what you get exactly. That information would make a huge difference in deciding on this plane or not. If it comes with one or two blades the price seems a bit much. But if it comes with one of those boxes of blades then it's almost a bargain.
    Later in the video, he does clearly say it comes with only one blade. But early on, he implied it came with more.

Well, it does have a lot of parts and has got to be a lot of operations to produce. I'm a tool junkie and have in the past few years bought tools I knew I had no use for just because I thought they were interesting and well made. Anything this plane does is stuff I'd probably do in my router table but if I had it I'm sure I'd find excuses to use it - at least until I felt my project was moving too slowly and went back to the router table.

I bought five planes in the past thirty days though so it's time for me to get myself back under control.

The base price includes (1) 1/4" plow blade. Many of the blades that will work in the large plow are common to the small plow plane, as well as blades from the Stanley 45/55 and the Record 405 (as mentioned above). The blades that will be unique to the large plow, meaning they will not work in the small plow, are a large rabbeting blade and the various reeding, fluting, and large beading blades. I don't know if those blades would work in the Stanley or Record planes.