Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Veritas combination plane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    The base price includes (1) 1/4" plow blade. Many of the blades that will work in the large plow are common to the small plow plane, as well as blades from the Stanley 45/55 and the Record 405 (as mentioned above). The blades that will be unique to the large plow, meaning they will not work in the small plow, are a large rabbeting blade and the various reeding, fluting, and large beading blades. I don't know if those blades would work in the Stanley or Record planes.

This is why I bought the large plane (pre-ordered at Handworks)- because of the larger beading profiles, and the multiple reed reeding blades. My home has large beaded moldings and I need to replicate them. Also the tongue and groove and large rabbet capability were big selling points. This is kind of a Swiss Army Knife tool. It's also so sexy. Even my wife saw the video and said, "Wow, that's pretty hot."

I have one on pre-order also, and am really looking forward to its arrival. My small plow is just so useful in my shop, and I'm hoping its big brother to be even more so. My biggest concern though, is wondering if the additional bells and whistles will introduce a level of complexity that would discourage me from reaching for it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Even my wife saw the video and said, "Wow, that's pretty hot."
    Are you sure she was talking about the plane, and not the narrator? (I have no idea if Terry Saunders is hot; I'm not genetically/genderly equipped to make that judgment).

I'm wondering, if the LV combination plane will accept blades from the Stanley 45/55, will it work the other way? Will blades from LV fit a Stanley 45/55? I might/might not buy the LV plane. My Stanley 45 works quite well for me, and I'd have to get more sense of whether the LV plane offers something the 45 doesn't, other than shiny and new. But it'd be nice to fill some gaps in the Stanley's blade selection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Are you sure she was talking about the plane, and not the narrator? (I have no idea if Terry Saunders is hot; I'm not genetically/genderly equipped to make that judgment).
    I'm positive. She is already married to a handsome hunk. (That would be me.).

I use my 45 a good bit. I'm sure that that plane is a good one based on LVs past performance. I surely would like to have that plane. Maybe have to sell off some of my others and just buy it. I like to have all of the bells and whistles so it would be likely that you just double that 399 number. Oh well, dream away old man.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Anything this plane does is stuff I'd probably do in my router table
    I have never been able to run a bead down the center of a 12" wide board on my router table. With the Veritas Large Plow Plane it wouldn't be how to, it would be how many?

Another possibility is the ease with which one could make some custom shapes from straight blades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm having a hard time seeing how the economics of this work. I get the idol worship thing, guys buying one of everything a company makes, just because they love the company that much.

Having said that, at the MWTCA meet I attended a month or so ago, there were dozens of 45s complete in the box with all the blades, even the Stanley screwdriver for $200-250. The Veritas costs $400 clams, and only comes with one blade. The Stanley 45 came with 7 beading blades, 10 plow and dado blades, a slitting blade, a tonguing blade and a sash blade. Assuming all those blades were available on a Veritas, that would set you back $380, for a total of $780!!!! I've never used the Veritas, and maybe it is all that and a bag of chips, but the 45 is pretty comfortable to use in my opinion.

I just don't see it.

Plate some in Bronze or Brass.....and some will just fall in love with it....about like a Marine, and the colour RED.

Take the Anant 045, replate all the knobs BRASS....

With all those knobs...where does one grab onto it at? Because it will still take two hands to both push and GUIDE it along.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    I'm having a hard time seeing how the economics of this work. I get the idol worship thing, guys buying one of everything a company makes, just because they love the company that much.

Having said that, at the MWTCA meet I attended a month or so ago, there were dozens of 45s complete in the box with all the blades, even the Stanley screwdriver for $200-250. The Veritas costs $400 clams, and only comes with one blade. The Stanley 45 came with 7 beading blades, 10 plow and dado blades, a slitting blade, a tonguing blade and a sash blade. Assuming all those blades were available on a Veritas, that would set you back $380, for a total of $780!!!! I've never used the Veritas, and maybe it is all that and a bag of chips, but the 45 is pretty comfortable to use in my opinion.

I just don't see it.
    What you said is true of a lot of other tools: people pay $150 for a square or gauge, $300 for a router plane, and so on. A lot of time, it is not really about the tools but the fanciness or high-endedness. However, it is all part of woodworking as those owners enjoy the tools as much as the work itself (regardless of the level of craftsmanship). I have come across and passed a lot of fancy sports cars (mostly with white-haired guys behind the steering wheel) which are going at or below the posted speed limit. The speed is secondary to them.

The Veritas combo looks funny with all the knobs but they must have their reasons and functions. If I get to try it out, I can then decide if it is something I want. $500 to $600 isn't a lot of money when you look the set of LN sharpening jig with all the accessories. I can do most of the sharpening free hand without spending anything on the jigs, but I can't do any grooves or tongues without having one of this kind of plane.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 07-23-2017 at 8:50 PM.

Simon,

I guess I see some of that. Old squares are seldom square, which allows for a robust market in those sorts of tools. I also get the aesthetics, but in my mind powder coated metal is not nearly as appealing as a nickel plated piece of cast iron with a floral motif. Paying a little more for new is one thing, paying 4 times new for something is nuts!

Pete

Hi Pete

As most here are aware, I am involved - on-and-off - with testing tools for Lee Valley (Veritas) at levels that range from the ideas stage through to the pre-production stage. I am not the only one they send tools to for field testing, however I may be the only one that writes about the tools - and not all the tools, but those that I believe others want to know more about. Such as the Large Plow Plane. I have posted a good bit of information here already.

Why buy the Large Plow? I have already said that it depends on what you want from a tool such as this. If all you plan to do is groove drawer sides, then get the Small Plow (it is cheaper) or find a Record #044 (not as good but it is cheaper still), or retread a wooden grooving plane (from a T&G set - this is the cheapest option, but also one with the most limited features). Why not a Stanley #45? I have one - hell, I have a Stanley #43 as well, so I also covered for dados, which the Small Plow cannot do, but the Large Plow can do.

The Large Plow works perfectly out of the box. It feels like a well-oiled machine. The parts go together and feel taut. My Stanley #45 did not feel like this when I got it, and took some time to fettle into shape. The blades were pretty much unused, which meant that they (only) needed to be cleaned and flattened. No big deal. I don't mind that ... expect it in a vintage plane ... and sharpening goes without saying. Even new planes need their blades to be sharpened. The Veritas blades are better - flatter blacks, more predictable quality, and new ones come pretty much ready to go. Still .. both planes will get the job done. Equally well? I don't see why not ... although the Veritas is easier to set up each time.

This is not meant to be a review. I will do one at some stage, and compare the Veritas to the Stanley. What I meant to emphasise is that it is the same choice that one makes when purchasing a vintage 10" Disston dovetail saw on eBay and a new 10" IT dovetail saw from yourself (15 years ago). Why not just sharpen the Disston? Why purchase a new LN?

Some want to and some don't.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Simon,

I guess I see some of that. Old squares are seldom square, which allows for a robust market in those sorts of tools. I also get the aesthetics, but in my mind powder coated metal is not nearly as appealing as a nickel plated piece of cast iron with a floral motif. Paying a little more for new is one thing, paying 4 times new for something is nuts!

Pete
    I have tried the Veritas, as well as a 45 and 55. I also went over to Patrick Leech's booth and tried quite a few different combination planes, just to be sure before buying the Veritas. Here is how I see this: I once owned a '66 Mustang GT350. Two weeks ago, in Puerto Rico, I drove my friend's 2016 Rousch Mustang GT. The '66 was cool and nostalgic, but performance and quality wise the 2016 wins in every aspect. For me there was no comparison with the cars and with the planes; the Veritas was well worth the money. If you tried to sell me the '66 Mustang on anything other than the nostalgia and coolness factor of a classic car (of which it has plenty), you would lose. Such it is with the 45/55 versus the new Veritas.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Magnuson View Post
    According to Rob Lee, the 45/55, and record 405 blades will fit
    Was there mention of the hollow, round, and stair nosing attachments and blades?
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 07-24-2017 at 7:59 AM. Reason: typo

Lol. Some people will pay that much for one chisel made from a 500 year old anchor chain made by XXX blacksmith. Others just knock a piece off of a 51 Hudson hornet rear bumper and use that. To each his own I guess. I guess I don't know much because I'm a bevel up user. It does look good to me. Maybe I'll sell my Stanley bevel downs and buy one.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Was there mention of the hollow, round, and stair nosing attachments and blades?
    Robb told me all the 45 and 55 blades would fit, and mentioned something about the 405, but I can't remember exactly. I plan to get some hollow and round profiles and try them out- will let you know once I do- I need to get the tool first. Official word was August for sure, but a little birdie at Handworks told me they were on track to possibly fill pre-orders late July. So... that could be this week by definition. My fingers are crossed. They said "Possibly" and "Hopefully" when mentioning an earlier release.