Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is a CNC router a good investment as far as making money off woodworking?

I'm finding this discussion interesting...the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of acquiring a CNC for my shop, both for personal enjoyment and for potentially paying for itself in some way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For reference....I am a woodworker with no interest in profit. My wifey gave me a CNC router for my 50th just over a year ago. My interest was just to make stuff. All sorts of stuff. I have used it for everything - wood parts, jig parts, circuit boards, cutting cardboard, name plates (engraved in Al), plastic, etc. Amazing how versatile they are. As mentioned in several posts, it is just another tool in my shop. No regrets!

Also for reference - I have a 24x48 CNC Rotuer Parts Standard model. I use a Bosch 1617. VCarve Pro, IntelliCAD, Corel, etc to draw. Mach 3 to control. I have been learning Fusion 360, but have not created anything from those files yet.

Still learning! Very fun toy! As others pointed out, buying the basic machine is only the beginning! Software, a base, dust collection, bits, assorted bits and pieces, etc. It adds up in a hurry.

Tony