Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best practice method to do production of 1x6 Spline Miter joints ? ?

Best practice method to do production of 1x6 Spline Miter joints ? ?

Please read the below link, then return here to reply.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ne-matl-to-fit

Thank you very much, Marc

If you're inclined to use a biscuit joiner, go ahead. Don't attempt to slide it sideways, or to make your own biscuits. Instead, use two biscuits per joint, side by side. Just plunge the joiner like normal. Screw the joiner down to the bench; most joiners have holes to let you do this.
    And if the customer will let you use plywood for the panel, glue it in as you assemble the frame. The panel will act as a great big gusset holding the corner joints together.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 07-23-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Jamie - The frames are open, not like a panel door.

Just a perimeter 1x6 laid flat open field frame, Marc

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    If you want to use plate joiner and joining plates (bisquits)- fastest and recommended- you should get Lamello "Max" joining plates, they measure over 3" long and 1-3/8" wide.

You can get router adapters from a good saw supply company that will allow you to run a 5" plate jointer blade in a 1/2" collet variable speed router (you'll need to slow the rpm's down) in a table and jig it up that way. Again, this is the easiest way I know.
    You can also use a jig on a table saw and cut your own splines, but that is a great deal more work.

How do you plan to clamp the joints?

Mark - I want to address your comments and give more info, but will be this Eve, gotta run now. Thank you, Marc

Marc:

Do you have access to a Domino (maybe a friend has one you could borrow)? If so, this could solve your problem. I have made many mitered frames similar to what you are planning to do using the domino. The domino will register the surfaces and lock the corner. Gluing can either be done with any equipment you have on hand (web; parallel jaw; wedge; glued clamping ears). I have successfully used web and corner clamp.

If you are asking for possibly a better method, I would choose a tenoning jig on the table saw. It would be cheaper also

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
    Marc:

Do you have access to a Domino (maybe a friend has one you could borrow)? If so, this could solve your problem. I have made many mitered frames similar to what you are planning to do using the domino. The domino will register the surfaces and lock the corner. Gluing can either be done with any equipment you have on hand (web; parallel jaw; wedge; glued clamping ears). I have successfully used web and corner clamp.
    OP is making boxes, not picture frames. Domino is not the right tool for him.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

What is wrong with biscuits? Just put one on each end of your joint, and use the biggest you can. I have used biscuits on projects, and have yet to have one fail. Do a test, just glue up a joint and then let it dry overnight, and then see what it takes to break the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    If you are asking for possibly a better method, I would choose a tenoning jig on the table saw. It would be cheaper also
    Again, OP is making boxes, not picture frames. Tenoning jig is not the right tool for him. Think spline jig.
    -- Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    But he says "Just a perimeter 1x6 laid flat open field frame, Marc"

Maybe we need a diagram. Even a phone pic of a hand drawn image would help. The answers are getting all over the map because we all have a different idea of what he is doing.

Its one of these:

Corner Joint.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Actually, he is making frames; "My OP is for a project calling for quantity run of 50 4 sided frames - visualize 1x6 laid flat as in a wide border picture frame, approx 1' wide x 4' high overall size completed."

A domino will work either way by the way.

Re-reading his initial post it sounds like these are flat frames for a coffee table top. If that is the case and he is making 50 of them, I would not use biscuits. Biscuits only register in one plane and would make alignment during glue up difficult for a miter joint. I would use a Domino as it would keep the joint from slipping. In either case, If the back/bottom is not visible, I would also use pocket screws on the back/bottom side to pull the joint tight. The pocket screws would also eliminate the need for extended clamping/drying time.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Actually, he is making frames; "My OP is for a project calling for quantity run of 50 4 sided frames - visualize 1x6 laid flat as in a wide border picture frame, approx 1' wide x 4' high overall size completed."

A domino will work either way by the way.
    Yes, from that, it seems I was wrong. For frames (bottom version in Glenn's pic), dominos, biscuits, or tenoning jig with solid spline will work. For boxes, biscuits or spline jig with solid spline will work. Dominos would have to be short, cut towards the inside of the joint.
    -- Jim

I see the some of the smaller Dominos come in 20 and 30 mm lengths, which would work here. Damn I'm going to have to change my sig to "Emily Litella says, 'Never mind.'"
    -- Jim