Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Gurus-Grinder Recommendations?

Coffee Gurus-Grinder Recommendations?

Time for yet another new grinder. I use it for french press or more lately pour-over coffee, never espresso as our espresso machine has a built-in grinder. Though I guess some day if that died and we decided to replace over a repair we could end up with something different. I've been through countless coffee grinders costing between $20 and probably around $100 over the years. They never seem to last very long. I've only ever bought mass market brands at mass market retailers. The current one is a Mr. Coffee that was about $50--it had decent reviews at the time and I decided to try something less expensive and I think we've gotten about 2 years out of this one which is actually pretty long (reading current reviews, sounds like we are one of the lucky ones.) Its never been great, just OK, creating a decent amount of fines even on a coarse setting. The problem is in the timer which has been shutting off after a second more and more frequently. Its push-to-start, and only starts when you release the button so there's way to hold it on and the situation is getting urgent.

I've been considering spending a little more this time but I'd like to stay under $250. It better hold up if I spend in that range though. I'd like a timer because who has the patience to time with a watch while waiting for morning coffee? I know they say you should do it by weight but after a few mornings I've been able to adjust the timer to grind the perfect amount consistently and a scale drives up the cost considerably. Before someone suggests it, I'm not interested in a manual grinder--again the whole work before coffee thing.

I am a home roaster and coffee fiend.

I recommend the Capresso Infinity Grinder--not too bad at ~$100 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-...+grinder&psc=1

Zassenhaus. A lot of folks are not interested in turning a crank, but if you want something that will last they are pretty hard to beat. Mine has lasted 10 years, and I would not be surprised if it lasts another 50.

Matt

I don't use exactly what you're looking for, but the grinder I have is a little beast. I can easily see it outlasting me, and I've had it for probably 15+ years already.
    I wouldn't describe myself as a coffee aficionado, but I do like good coffee.

I have the Kitchen aide Burr Master grinder. There is no timer I just put in the same pre-measured amount each time and it's fine. I use a Krups, Moka BrewMaster, to make the coffee. The combination of the two makes a very nice cup of coffee. I think right now my wife is getting a Yemen Italian bean.

Here's a link to the website. ( It's cheaper on Amazon.)

https://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KCG0702ER]-5541096/KCG0702ER/
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

+1 about the Capresso grinder. I do favor the 565 model over the similar 560 model.The difference is that the 565 has a metal housing instead of plastic. If found that if I checked Amazon on different occasions it could be found less than $15 more than the 560 model. Regardless of version I would expect good, consistent grinding.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I've looked at that one a few times and have almost bought it but the timer thing held me back. Its $250 for the version with the timer.

The Capresso does look like the way to go. Now my dilemma is whether to roll the dice, order the 565 from Amazon for Tuesday and hope I can grind with the old for for two more days or go today and get the 560 at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I'm still using the Krups grinder I bought in about 1985 but I've been thinking of getting a burr grinder. As I'm the only one in the house who drinks coffee, I've been considering a hand crank grinder. The Zassenhaus looks good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I am an admitted coffee snob. This is the grinder we have as well. Good burr grinder and seemingly bulletproof. I recommend it.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

The KitchenAid grinder Matt mentioned is definitely a heavy duty machine. Here's the link. The only reason I have it is was a "customer satisfaction" replacement for one that broke.

If I had to do over, I would go with the smaller models mentioned. The KA is quite large.

I'm a Capresso fan also but I do it a little differently. I use the Capresso coffee machine that grinds the beans and then brews the coffee. I have been through I think 3 of them over the past 20 plus years. Each night I fill the water chamber, top off beans in the hopper if needed and set the timer. I don't like waiting on the machine to make coffee even on my day off. I want a full carafe available right then when I go in the kitchen. Plus there is no measuring of the ground coffee, just keep the hopper full.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    I am a home roaster and coffee fiend.

I recommend the Capresso Infinity Grinder--not too bad at ~$100 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-...+grinder&psc=1
    That's what we have, it has held up pretty well for the last 10 years.

There is a "safety" switch under the hopper so it can't turn on when its taken apart for cleaning (why you would do that without unplugging it is beyond me). Anyway that switch broken about 8 years in so I just hot wired around it (yeah its a $1 part, but it wasn't worth sourcing it) and its been chugging happily along for another 2 so far. We mostly do french press and pour over, I suspect there would be more wear at espresso fineness.

Third vote for the Baratza brand... I've had mine in regular daily use for more than 16 years with never a problem and reliably consistent results. Mine is also known as the "Solis Maestro" and is identical in appearance to the model pictured by Jim except for finish color. His is black, mine appears two-tone silver and charcoal grey. Whatever you decide upon, the common factor for success is bound to be the high hardness heat-treated steel conical burr mechanism. Doesn't heat or pulverize the beans and delivers a highly uniform particle size to the grounds.

"The timer thing held me back"... The Baratza design does have that dial timer round the side, but on the front is a surface mount push button manual switch; aka the "Pulse Button". I invariably use this method of pulse activation when grinding just enough fresh beans for the French Press carafe.

I'm gathering that some of you may use the timer feature to regulate a dose for the press or brew chamber and just keep that bean hopper regularly filled at room temperature. I keep fresh roasted beans hermetically sealed within a wide-mouthed storage container in the refrigerator with a volumetric scoop on top the contents. Each morning sees a single scoop of chilled beans placed in the clear hopper atop my grinder. To each his own...
    Last edited by Morey St. Denis; 07-23-2017 at 2:00 PM.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Morey St. Denis View Post
    Third vote for the Baratza brand... I've had mine in regular daily use for more than 16 years with never a problem and reliably consistent results. Mine is also known as the "Solis Maestro" and is identical in appearance to the model pictured by Jim except for finish color. His is black, mine appears two-tone silver and charcoal grey. Whatever you decide upon, the common factor for success is bound to be the high hardness heat-treated steel conical burr mechanism. Doesn't heat or pulverize the beans and delivers a highly uniform particle size to the grounds.
    +1 on this model (Solis).l I got mine at Peet's about 15 years ago. Still going strong.