Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help quick RDWORKS 8.1.24 !!!

need help quick RDWORKS 8.1.24 !!!

Hi Guys, I am stuck and not able to complete my project.

ROTARY SETTING FOR RDWORKS 8.1.24

I have turned off my machine,
    Connected the rotary
    turned the machine on
    plugged the usb cable into my pc,

went to User settings,
    enabled rotating
    but when I test, it says enable rotating first.
    then on output, it does not allow me to enable???
    is there a fix and what is it?
    setting on.JPG
    rotate not on.JPG
    Last edited by Pieter Swart; 07-23-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    Kehui 100w 900x600 with adjustable z axis table,
    3 jaw chuck rotary
    CW 5000 water chiller

English version RdWorks V8.01.28, ( newest version )
    Windows 7 & 10
    Corel Suite X8

30w Fiber Laser with Raycus power source
    rotary and other fun toys I know nothing about yet...lol

never mind

i figured it out by myself....
    3 jaw chuck rotary
    CW 5000 water chiller

Windows 7 & 10
    Corel Suite X8

FILE.JPGREAD.JPGSTEPLENGTH.JPG

Turn machine off,
    unplug y axis, plug in rotary
    turn machine on and plug into usb
    Click file,
    vendor settings

read the current settings
    Save the current settings in a VERY safe place
    go to the work space and draw a square.
    burn the square onto a spare bottle or cup... preferably not in a permanent marking, or a spare glass bottle or glass.
    measure the actual measurement
    go back to vendor settings...
    Select the Y-axis and go to where it says "step length"
    select that... a new window should pop up for you.
    input the measurement you drew on the work space
    below that is another measurement
    input the actual measurement you got after the burn...
    (I used a vinyl sewing measuring tape )
    Now the new step length will be shown.

Save this vendor setting ( as something else in the same safe location)

Now you are set up to run your rotary as you wish...

Remember to change the settings back to normal, by selecting "open" in the vendor settings and selecting the first file you saved, once you are done with the rotary.

Then repeat the first steps to unplug the rotary and plug the y-axis back in...

you should be all set...
    Last edited by Pieter Swart; 07-23-2017 at 1:00 PM.
    3 jaw chuck rotary
    CW 5000 water chiller

Windows 7 & 10
    Corel Suite X8

Blog Entries
    Pieter, you SHOULD be able to use the rotary setup. WITHOUT going into Vendor Settings.....

IGNORE the Yellow section you have circled! in .24 version it is greyed out. (don't know why the Chinese programmer didn't remove it, it is redundant.
    Cut off your machine, connect the rotary to proper Y axis. ( I have switch, makes it easy)
    Turn on laser, if you have to push Y axis to zero (back) do it. I have to push back, pull back a mm and repush to zero to reset. When x axis moves, repostion the y to where it's over rotary.
    Go into program and user section. Press Read, turn rotary to ON and Write back to machine.
    At this point I reset machine again, just to make sure it zeroes but you don't have to. Rotary should work then.
    To go back the other way, Read cut off rotary, and Write, CUT off machine and plug back the y axis.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

What I do is go into Vendor settings and change the Y axis step length to whatever number I had figured out before, then disable homing on the Y axis and "write" so that it is saved. Then shut off machine, disconnect Y axis (I put a Molex connector inside the cabinet) and connect rotary. Restart machine. Only the X axis does the homing so no need to manually move it.

I don't generally mess with the step length after that, if it is wrong I just stretch the artwork by whatever amount is required (after making a copy of it). Real easy to figure out how much to stretch in one test run. If there is more than one size of workpiece I will repeat the process of testing and stretching and just have multiple copies of the same artwork, each stretched appropriately. Changing step length will only be correct for one diameter of workpiece so I would rather change the artwork instead of changing step length - providing the step length is already in the ball park. Nothing wrong with altering the step length each time, just not the way I do it.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Blog Entries
    Please you guys tell me if YOUR machines absolutely won't work using the rotary setup! Going into vendor settings on a regular basis seems to be a potential disaster waiting to happen. At least an awful lot of folks seem to screw this up consistently.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

I'm with you John. You shouldn't need to go into vendor settings to use the rotary.

I go under the user tab and Click read
    I check Yes for rotary
    Write it to the machine
    And I'm done.

Too many people don't know what they're doing in the vendor settings
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Blog Entries
    It is WAY too Easy to corrupt the data. I just spend a day getting RDworks AND Corel Reinstalled after updating RDworks to latest version to work with a couple of the new features. And I told myself I wasn't going to do it, but did it anyways. In uninstalling and reinstalling RDworks, it corrupted the plugin and corel didn't like it one bit. Visual Basic error that I couldn't fix. And I had all my settings the way I wanted them... Oh, well.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

I've gone into vendor settings countless times and have never had an issue. You should know how to save your configuration and restore it if necessary. I have only had to do that when swapping controllers, but if the settings were to get corrupted, I would just restore them from the backup.
    Gerber Sabre 408

Blog Entries
    If you were smart enough to save a backup:-)

And it is called Vendor Settings for a reason! Same as the programmer putting a rotary settings under user.....
    Last edited by John Lifer; 07-24-2017 at 7:41 PM.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    If you were smart enough to save a backup:-)

And it is called Vendor Settings for a reason! Same as the programmer putting a rotary settings under user.....
    My version of LaserWorks has no rotary settings under user, how else would you recommend I make the rotary work other than modifying the vendor settings?

The factory freely gives out the password for vendor settings, they also advise to make a backup (common sense). Common sense also dictates that you don't change settings if you don't know what you are doing. I really haven't heard of people screwing up their machines by using vendor settings - unless they didn't know what they were doing. If your data is getting corrupted there is probably a bigger problem. So from my point of view, there is zero potential for disaster. Worst case would be the minor inconvenience of restoring the backup - which hasn't happened in the six years that I have been using the vendor settings.
    Gerber Sabre 408

ANY settings (not just lasers) that are available TO be adjusted, by anyone-- I've always considered to be "user" settings. "Vendor" settings are simply factory default settings. The only reason for the password protection is in case Junior is playing around on Dad's computer-- Junior might find Dad's photo stash, but he can't change Dad's 'factory' laser settings!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Sorry Rich, I don't use Laserworks, and original question WAS RDW and the latest version that DOES have spot for rotary adjustment. And Kev, I'll dispute your comment also, there are a bunch of settings that don't need password to change. And Rich,if haven't seen posts here and elsewhere from a lot of folks that have corrupted their vendor settigs, you haven't looked hard enough.if YOUR software won't let you set rotary without going there, so be it.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Hey John,
    I have tried and tried... nothing seems to work... until I went into the vendor settings... I suppose it is one of those unexplained situations where certain things just don't work on certain machines...

I was careful though to save the original settings as Original home settings and then the new settings as Rotary settings... I put a procedure list on my screen on how to achieve the same results for the same materials and settings... I have become slightly OCD about this machine...

I also certainly understand why this should be a last resort and agree that certain people should not mess with it...

However, I had no REAL help at that point so I ventured into the dark reaches ( vendor settings)

It would be greatly appreciated, if one of the Veteran users would do a detailed write-up fr us Newbies on how to do it color by number... I know its a lot to ask, but it should/could/would cut down on people like me crying for help... and others who have messed up their vendor settings... without a back up... Maybe as a sticky?.
    3 jaw chuck rotary
    CW 5000 water chiller

Windows 7 & 10
    Corel Suite X8

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    And Kev, I'll dispute your comment also, there are a bunch of settings that don't need password to change.
    Seems reasonable to me that if I (the mfr) didn't want anyone to change my settings, I wouldn't give you a password -and, there are settings that may be useful and necessary to change within the factory settings that don't exist in other settings menus...

My PHcad software came with instructions explaining what everything is in the factory defaults, and how to change and save the settings. The only thing not possible is doing a "hard" change of the factory settings, as they're built into the motherboard, so you can always go back, which takes just 2 clicks.

Here's one of my factory settings windows, this is the window specific to the X axis...
    factXax.jpg
    Now, I haven't made any changes in the upper-left area, although I could if I chose to. The only important-to-me figure on the left side is "range", which is the working area. On the right side I've made changes to start speed and max. acc. speed in both axis's (lowered the numbers) and in the X axis I raised the max speed to 800 from 500. Since my laser hits 26mA at 70% power as entered, I've entered a max of 75 in the parameters. While I never enter more than 70 in practice, this keeps Murphy's law from killing my tube in case I enter a higher number for some stupid reason.

I can save as many variations as I want. And if I want to return to the factory defaults, just click 'read factory parameters' then click 'save factory parameters'.

I know my program is different than RDworks obviously, but I would think there should be an easy 'go-back' button like my PHcad does.

As for the other user-adjustable parameters which don't have a factory-go-back option, best advice I have would be to re-install the program and save the factory settings from the get-go...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle