Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do....

I knew it was the fan!

I like you plane till.
    Everything's looking good. Nice to see the thumb's not holding you back as much as you thought it might.

Work right now is governed by how this thumb feels.....I don't want to work in the shop while on painkillers like Percocet....don't feel like losing any of MY parts...

Tried the Stanley No. 8.....could not get a good enough grip on it. When with the Ohio Tool Co. 0-7 instead..
    IMG_1161 (640x480).jpg
    At least I could get a grip on this one. One edge needed a LOT of trips with the plane...the other edge..not so much..
    IMG_1164 (640x480).jpg
    Set that plane aside, clamped the stile to the bench's top, between the dogs. Had a groove to do..
    IMG_1165 (640x480).jpg
    Then trace the foot pattern and cut out the waste. Then some cleanup

IMG_1167 (640x480).jpg
    I wound up clamping both stiles together. Beltsander to make the two match a bit better, then a little more clean up.
    While the two were all clamped up, I used both a square, and the rails, to transfer where they will go onto the other stile....mortises and all....
    IMG_1169 (640x480).jpg
    A few dry fits....Panels were marked and crosscut for length....yes, I only got two done...
    IMG_1168 (640x480).jpg
    Thumb started hurting a bit too much....that was the end of the "heavy work" for the day

I could, however mark a few things for the next adventure in the shop....Have the rest of the panels marked for length, and a couple for width.
    Tinner's Rule to mark the last two stiles as to where they need planed to.....wonder what Dummy made all them wavy cuts, anyway.
    IMG_1170 (640x480).jpg
    So, until either the pill wears off, or the thumb feels better, will be enough for one trip to the shop, for now..stay tuned

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Work right now is governed by how this thumb feels.....I don't want to work in the shop while on painkillers like Percocet....don't feel like losing any of MY parts...
    Absolutely!

Maybe tomorrow, Boss willing, I can try chopping the mortises? Swinging the mallet lefthanded doesn't work, I keep trying to hit the right thumb. I can use the mallet righthanded......but I wouldn't advise standing behind me. We'll see how it goes. maybe get to the point of raising a few panels?

Stay tuned...

Well, mallet did not go flying away, this morning....8 mortises have been chopped and fitted..
    IMG_1175 (640x480).jpg
    Dry fit. Scrap panel to check groove alignments. Reset the clamps..
    IMG_1178 (640x480).jpg
    And set the frame aside. Will wait until the panels have been made.

Worked on the rails for side #2
    IMG_1177 (640x480).jpg
    Remember the one known as "spare"...needed it today, as one of the good parts came out too short. Rails have been planed to thickness, S4S, and two now have grooves milled, and tenons ,too

Had to saw a few ends square...mitre box took care of that. Decided to hold off on the rails for a bit..
    IMG_1179 (640x480).jpg
    Have some bigger items to work on....might even involve a Stanley #45....first, though, I need to reach this line..
    IMG_1180 (640x480).jpgwell, lines, as both stiles will need a bit of jointing done.

Anyway, stopped for lunch break.....maybe resume after awhile? Depends on that thumb..stay tuned..

Another 2-3 hours, after lunch....

Made a bunch of "noodles"
    IMG_1183 (640x480).jpg
    Got both stiles S4S, and a groove made in each..
    IMG_1182 (640x480).jpg
    Set these two aside, worked on the rails for a while..
    IMG_1185 (640x480).jpg
    Grooves made..
    IMG_1187 (640x480).jpg
    Tenons made. Marked a few lines....
    IMG_1188 (640x480).jpg
    And built a jig...got out a plane..
    IMG_1191 (640x480).jpg
    After all, when you do raised panels ala Paul Sellers, you need a Stanley #4c ( Made in England, of course..)
    IMG_1193 (640x480).jpg
    Three edges done...bunch more to go....right about here...Suppertime!

Shoulders are sore, thumb is too...I think that will do, for today...

Stay tuned...

Taking the day off.....Uncle Charlie ( Horse) woke me up at 0445 this morning.....too nice a day OUTSIDE to be a dank basement....

Hope I haven't been boring anybody.....

Not at all. Tell Charlie I said sit down and shut up.

Turned out, all Uncle Charles wanted was a glass of Milk..

Brought home a couple chisels, from the Road Trip.

Started thinking about drawer building......while I can do half blind dovetails...
    dovetails.JPG
    I rather like the look of through dovetails...
    corner details.jpg
    Was going to use Poplar for the drawer sides.....may have to go out a get a bit more Maple. May not be the Curly stuff, but....the drawer fronts will be.

Was raining like a stuck pig off and on all day yesterday, so no rust hunting for me.
    Like the dovetails.

Just one of them days.....could NOT get focused....was trying to do too many things at once....I managed to bevel the last edge on the 1st Raised panel....got the rest of the panels roughly sized and marked to where they will go....Test fit showed I need to add a "back bevel" to the panels, or maybe just a slight rebate.

Gave up for the day. Took a drive out to a place called "Junk in the Box" and did a little shopping......entire shelf of hand planes....had all of those, already. Box on the floor said anything in the box was a dollar bill.....went diving in to look around....
    IMG_1198 (640x480).jpg
    $2 = 2 squares. Blades are 9" long. One is a try square, even. Looked at a shelf directly above the box....another square sat there, with a $5 price tag.....nope. Paid my $2 and left.

BTW: low know Stanley No. 6c was on the shelf....$50......pass.

Roh-kay....What little got done today...
    IMG_1204 (640x480).jpg
    One raised panel. Cut the profiles for the other feet, crooscut the other 6 panel blanks
    IMG_1201 (640x480).jpg
    Top panel is in the clamps, already ripped to width. The other two are also ripped for with...Got both bottom panels sized, and both top panels...however..
    IMG_1205 (640x480).jpg
    Panels #2 and #3 for the other side of the case, still need ripped for width..
    IMG_1206 (640x480).jpg
    This one isn't too bad..
    IMG_1207 (640x480).jpg
    THIS one will take a bit of work.
    I also transferred the mortise markings to the other set of stiles....need to chop those as well...

Just lost focus today...too many "irons" in the fire? Decided to stop before I mess something up...
    Monday the shop is NORMALLY closed..we'll see....stay tuned

Sunday just wasn't a day to work in the shop....lack of FOCUS ruled the shop.....
    one raised panel.jpg
    This was about all that actually got done.....A raised panel: 4th edge bevel, dry fit in the frame...Needs a back bevel
    The two stiles had the feet details cut, marks transferred over from the finished stiles as to where the mortises need to be..

All but two panels were sawn to sizes needed. Now have two top panels ready to be beveled, one IN the jig
    top panel.jpg
    The other set aside. Panels #2 and #3 for the side I am working on, also got done..
    panels 2, 3.jpg
    Distrations.....Almost got the other two sawn..
    loaded bandsaw.jpg
    These two need sawn for width...sometime..
    No.2.jpg
    #3 isn't too bad..
    no.2a.jpg
    #2 might take a bit of work...

Too many things going on at the same time...leads to mistakes, time to stop
    This morning, thought I'd slip over to a friend's place, and buy a plank or two of Maple ( Coming up about a plank short) Monday being Monday..he wasn't home..
    Stopped at the Blue BORG and got a few 1 x2s to make webframes with....$3 a piece for the 8 footers? Oh well, normal Monday.

Have a bit of painting to do, on a stretch of drywall. Might be about it, for a Monday.
    Maybe tomorrow, things may get a bit more focused in the shop, instead of just cussed? Stay tuned..

Yeah, yeah...shop was supposed to be closed on Mondays....But....after the rehabs were done..decided to SLOWLY work on one job....

jigged.jpg
    This was still sitting in the jig....flipped it over, had a "bright idea"..
    Wards 78.jpg
    I'd make a rebate along all four edges on the inside. Wards 78 to start it ( it has a fence..)
    shoulder plane.jpg
    Old shoulder plane to clean things up...flipped the panel back over, and use that Stanley #4c to bevel the edge on the end grain...
    gauge block.jpg
    I used a Guage Block to check for fit....
    junior jack.jpg
    When doing the edge grain sides...a junior jack got me close, in a hurry....then the #4c to clean up, and fine tune the fit..
    edges.jpg
    Top panel was done, bottom panel has BEEN done...which leaves #2 and #3....They needed ripped to width....edges cleaned up..
    jointed edge.jpg
    I marked a line, as one was a bit wider at one end (oops) junior jack to get close to the line, then the #4c again. End grain was the straightest, either....we have ways..
    shooter plane.jpg
    Wasn't too worried about the ends at the corners....bevels will take care of that. Then jig each up, rebate them, and then bevel them....could finally stash them all on the frame..

Seems I need a tad bit more room? Ok, stay tuned, BRB..

As to a place to stash the panels..
    stashed panels.jpg
    Only the bottom panel has been installed IN the frame.

A look at a finished panel?
    raised panel.jpg
    This one did had a bad section...a knot, I think....will have to do, for now..
    messy floor.jpg
    Getting ready for about the fourth or fifth time, sweeping up "Crunchies" Some even tried to get away..
    fanned shavings.jpg
    But, they left a trail behind.

Maybe tomorrow, I might get something done? Stay tuned...