Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do....

What to do....

Thumb's in a brace, with a chip off of a bone. It would be on the same hand as what I WORK with, too...

I have a large plank...
    plank.jpg
    4/4 x 13 x 49. Someone else was trying out a stain, and found a crack...thinking I can use this as a top for a chest of drawers?
    Maybe add some walnut to the edges? Breadboard?

There is almost enough to make the frame and panel sides...and drawer fronts
    maple stash.jpg
    Even some 4/4 stuff to go with the 3/4 thick boards....maybe use a plane to raise a few panels? Plenty of thin Poplar for drawer sides..
    walnut, poplar.jpg
    Along with the 7bf of Black Walnut 1x4s
    IF I can get the use back in the right hand, maybe three full width an two half width drawers. May have to buy some 1/4" plywood for drawer bottoms and the back for the case...

Perhaps through dovetails for the corners of the drawers? This one is to replace an old junky one in the bedroom...

Maybe when I can draw a few lines on some paper, I might figure out what to cut where.

Will know more Tuesday morning, after seeing the Bone Doctor....on the DL until then.

(Then..look out!)

Hi Steven,

Hope you get good news from the Doc. In the meantime, keep us informed when you find something out. Sounds like you have plenty of lumber calling your name. As for me, and probably a bunch of others, as you always indicate for us to do, we will "stay tuned."

Stew

For some reason..I just can't seem to just sit around...have to do something....so

I hauled the two 4/4 planks to the shop....thought maybe a little layout could be done?

Ruler held across the wider board of the two...picked out 4 spacings(2-4-6-8) marked the 2,4,and 6 marks, 8 was on the edge. Gave things a rest for a bit...

Later, I set up a jig to resaw on the bandsaw...( handsaw is out of the question)
    IMG_1094 (640x480).jpg
    About an 1-7/8" space.. ran the board through a few times...
    IMG_1096 (640x480).jpg
    And even crosscut to length...about 36" or so....clamped them all together..
    IMG_1095 (640x480).jpg
    Until the next time I can work on them....board underneath needs crosscut to about 13".....I need 10 rails to go between the four corner posts. Hoping it is the same thickness
    IMG_1098 (640x480).jpg
    As for the saw marks...well, this sort of contraption isn't an option
    IMG_1099 (640x480).jpg
    Smallest jack plane I have..and the thumb still said no.

As for the raised panels.
    .IMG_1100 (640x480).jpg
    I think I have enough of this sort of Maple for the job...

Depending on this thumb, stay tuned..this may take a while

That maple is gorgeous. Hope your thumb heals fast, 'cause I can't wait.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 07-23-2017 at 8:57 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Not a whole lot will be done today...the Monday Thing.....Tuesday, I go to see the Bone Doctor about the thumb.....we'll see where we go after that.

Trying to resist the urge to go to the shop........

Van decided today was the day to....not start. Third time I tried...first two were flawless...even went and paid bills, and then...stopped for Lunch...came back out...won't start. had to have the van towed to get it fixed....waiting now to see what all that will take.... ( Coil-Pack?)

Sitting around the house is...BORING.....decided to at least lay out the cuts for the rails.....13" long rails...came out of 40" plank? Divided the width into thirds...Came out with 9 rails...needed 10. Last of the 4/4" stock..too. Hmm...wasn't planning on doing any WORK in the shop today.....but...

Set up the circular saw...the one that has a proper blade. Clamped the blank to the bench. Left hand on the controls, fingers on the left to guide things a bit. I had run the vise all the way out, to steady the off cut. Made the cuts without too many "issues" ( shhhhh!) so I reset the fence on the bandsaw to 1-1/2 width. ran the blanks through....center cuts were a tad wide...run them through again.

Needed some way to get one more rail....hmmmm. Going to keep #9 rail as a test piece. Had a piece of 3/4 just sitting around doing nothing....was long enough for two rails. ....Maybe..

Set the saw back into the Langdon Mitre Box....marked the center of the 1x3 and tried the saw out.....worked better with a broken thumb! no "death-grip" to foul things up. I just let the saw do the work...three fingersto just push and pull the saw. I reset the fence on the bandsaw, to 2-1/2" wide, andran the top rail blanks through...

The "fix" to the rail problem? I can off-set the tenon and groove in the top rails, so the outside face of the rail matches the other rails. I can "back" them up with a webframe . Good news, is I can match the width across the front with a Walnut rail. The "face frame" rails will be Walnut, anyway....I can even get fancier with the bottom rail. Side rails will be a bit plain, I think..

BTW: I didn't take any pictures today of my being IN the shop.....no pictures, no evidence....unless you NEED to see something...

Pictures? Pictures? Ok, I may have a few..
    saw.jpg
    The Langdon 75.....works nicely when I don't have a "death-grip" on the handle....
    parts.jpg
    Resawn parts for the rails, and a spare....figured a way to at least plane these short parts smooth.
    vise work.jpg
    I stand about here, and plane as a Lefty. Smaller parts meant I could use smaller planes...
    planes.jpg
    Junior Jack and a 60-1/2.....seemed to work nicely..
    planed parts.jpg
    All but the spare rail. Even had a bit of grain showing..
    grain.jpg
    On some of the real rough sawn stuff, I used the beltsander, as a Lefty, to knock things down a bit, saved wear and tear on the thumb

Next, will be finding a way to plane these 36" posts..
    corner post.jpg
    I don't think the vise trick will work.....as for a Large Plough Plane..
    plough plane.jpg
    Maybe I can reset this as a Left hand plane?
    Stay tuned, tomorrow may be a better day...I hope.

I see you are getting the better of things. Good!
    Looking good, too.

Thumb up-date: 3 weeks in a plastic splint, then visit the Doctor again. Area on the right side of the thumb, there is a chip broken off, right about where the thumbnail starts....Nothing to do but let it heal, takes about 3-4 weeks.

Have the Stanley #45 all set up, and test drove. Using the #12 cutter to plough 3/8" deep grooves for raised panel to sit in.

Set up to try the No. 0-7 Jointer on the longer parts....Crochet and leg vise to hold parts. May add a bit of scrap as a rest under it. One edge has been jointed....test grooves in the spare rail, to check that it will be centered. The #18 cutter was way too wide. #12 seems to be working, again. End vise to hold the short rails to be grooved. Long stiles? Will need a different set-up.

Fun part will be chopping mortises....left handed mallet? May have to make one....

Photos when I can get them taken....

More photos! Tried out the Stanley45 ...
    cutter set up.jpg
    Once I got the #12 cutter set up, and then the fence..
    centered.jpg
    Was close to centered. Holding the 45, with a certain thumb sticking straight out to the side. Part is the "spare" rail, I use it to test set-ups with.
    Ok, I can run the 45 almost like "normal"....just slower, is all. I reset the bench.
    .bench set up.jpg
    Either these corner posts are long, or the bench is short. I pounded one end of a corner post into the Crochet, then clamped the other end into the leg vise. Thought I'd at least TRY a jointer plane..
    jointer.jpg
    Didn't feel like pushing the No. 8, so a No. 0-7 was put into use. Again, with the thumb sticking out like a hitch-hiker....and having to walk the plane back to the "Start" spot...was able to do enough work to make a few shavings of Maple..
    shaving.jpg
    Rubbing the sole of the planes with an old candle helped quite a bit, too. Got both edges jointed, thought I check with the 45..
    groovy.jpg
    Now, this Stanley 45 has a Micro-adjustable fence. I can unlock it, use a bolt to adjust the fence in or out a hair, and relock it. You can see the slight gap. Was off just that amount from being dead centered. Thought I could go ahead and groove this post....problem came up..
    .chop hit.jpg
    Ran out of room on each end. Crochet on the far end made the plane raise up, this vise jaw wouldn't let me start on the end....may have to do this in stages.

That was about it for the morning's adventures. May take the afternoon "off", and try again later. Giving the thumb a rest, after all the prodding at the Doctor's office...

Might see about jointing the other three posts...then figure a way to groove them. The rails I can do in the end vise. left or right handed.

Stay tuned....might be a LONG 3 weeks....

Tried a bit more this evening...set the corner post where I could finish the groove out to the ends..
    grooved.jpg
    3/8" deep. Will use that depth setting on the rails, so...I laid out where all five rails will go, using the width of the boards I will use for the panels.
    lay out lines.jpg
    Then made a foot detail ( helps when I know which is the foot)
    foot.jpg
    I even tried out chopping a mortise.
    .chiseled.jpg
    Found out I am lousy swinging a mallet lefthanded....kept trying to hit that thumb...Ok, switch to a Righty....no issues.
    mortise.jpg
    Bottom of the mortise is 1" down that away. Test cut a tenon on the spare rail..
    tenon test.jpg
    And this will serve as a pattern for the rest. once it fits. The rail for the bottom..
    dry fit 2.jpg
    Has a big, old knot. I can place it at the bottom of the case, with the knot on the inside. The rail only gets a single groove, so it will be a haunched tenon.
    Milled the rail's groove..
    grooved rail.jpg
    Fence was hitting the vise, so I placed the rail between it and a dog. 45 did better with the grain. Rail IS a tad too thick, but I think I has a way to thin it down a bit...after assembly.

Cut the haunched tenon on one end, and called it a night...
    Stay tuned, maybe tomorrow, I might get something done....

Van's fuel pump AND filter replaced. $$$...ouch. 3 more weeks in a plastic splint on this thumb....a little more movement allowed for the rest of the hand.

LUNCH!

Maybe after it settles, I can get back to woodworking.....looking like a 3pm start for the shop....stay tuned...

Well...did a few hours in the shop.....shoulders are sore! Using groups of muscles in ways I am not used to.....Rails for one side of the case are done. Grooves milled, tenons made...but....some of the rails needed planed a tad thinner, a few ends needed squared off...mitre box got used quite a bit.

Laid out the next corner post and,,,wow, what a crooked line along one edge....more plane work......I also raised the fence on the Stanley 45....needed a little more room between it and the top of the bench...

Photos when I get them off the camera....stay tuned..

Let's see...needed to skinny the rail stock down, to match the thickness of the post ( stiles?) Talking less than a 1/16" , too much to sand off, not enough to bandsaw into veneer...so..
    stanley no. 4c.jpg
    Ran this around, until the four main rails matched the posts/stiles....swept the floor, too..
    shop floor.jpg
    Hey, it happens in a working shop...Got things reset to make a few grooves...
    before and after.jpg
    A before & after. Got the four main ones all nice and groovy..
    four rails.jpg
    The single grooved one is the bottom rail....also worked on the top rails groove thing

fence.jpg
    Note the fence has been move up? Needed a bit more room between it and the top of my bench...
    top rail.jpg
    Thicker side goes to the outside. Will get "backed up" with a webframe, and a corner block to attach the top with,
    test fits..
    test fit.jpg
    And..
    dry fits.jpg
    Hey, there are tenons showing! Will cover THAT mess in the next episode...stay tuned..BRB

Ok, Floor has been swept four times, and I am still making a mess...

Take a good look around, see if you can find the most important tool in this shop..
    .Tools.jpg
    Answer in a bit....
    Tenons. Tried to lay them out...only to find out the ends were not squarely cut....Trudge over to the Langdon, and shave a bit off the ends, making sure they all matched for length when I got done...
    Tried to use just the bandsaw, to save a bit of wear on my shoulders....not happy with the way it was cutting....Langdon...
    Langdon.jpg
    The goal here was to saw down to it just nicked the groove. Then flip and repeat. THEN the bandsaw could saw away the waste. (made a lot of Dominos) Once all the tenons were cut....just wasn't in the mood to chop a few mortises....put the rails and the one stile away....got out the next stile, and see about jointing an edge or two...hmmmm, laid a straight edge along one edge..
    bad cut.jpg
    Called a Tinner's Rule, all the info one needs, when they make tin cans for a living....steel straightedge. Hmmm, just a tad wavy....marked a line with a pencil..
    straight lined.jpg
    Yep, this is going to take awhile....will need something a little bigger than a No. 4c....
    pair of jointers.jpg
    The No.0-7 might get the call....the No. 8 can wait until ALL my fingers can do the job....10 pounds+ is a bit too much for the hands right now.

Stile has been locked into the crochet, and clamped in the leg vise. Thought about trying to move the jointer along..
    small jointer.jpg
    I did put the No. 8 back....and swept the floor, again..time for Supper, and a Percasec.....maybe tomorrow I might get a few things done?

Stay tuned

( in this shop, that fan is the most important "tool", without it, not a lot would get done)