Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do....

Wanted to get something done..BEFORE Lunch....
    panels and rails.jpg
    The remaining four panels have been all "raised" and set into the rails.....for side #2
    cleared off.jpg
    Stiles have been set out, awaiting mortises to be chopped....even the floor was swept!
    cleaned floor.jpg
    Hmmm,so where is all the parts for side #1?
    glued up.jpg
    Sitting over here, all glued up. Was such a fun time...managing all the clamps..with a busted thumb.....I'll let this sit a while...until I need clamps to glue up Side #2

Was a rather busy morning....maybe later, I can chop a few mortises? We'll see...stay tuned

Since the bench was cleared, I might as well get something done....
    lay outs.jpg
    Laid out where the mortises will go..
    toys.jpg
    Got the toys out...and a clamp..
    clamped up.jpg
    And the most important tool when chopping a mortise (besides a fan..)
    shop stool.jpg
    The Shop Stool. First mortise was a haunched tenon one..
    dry fit 1.jpg
    Dry fit...looks like a short tenon?

haunched tenon.jpg
    Not exactly....second mortise was a "normal" one...
    next mortise.jpg
    As were the rest of the ones on this stile....Kept marking parts as to which goes where, and facing which direction..
    dry fit 2.jpg
    #2 mortise for #2 rail Got the first two mortises on stile #2..
    Hmmm....out of picture room...again? BRB..

There was a problem with Stile #1 though..
    stile no.2.jpg
    There was a crack...right near the top of the stile, on the side that will show, of course, Elmers and a couple small c clamps to fix...
    This was a dry fit with a panel added...that dark line on the panel in not a shadow....
    tools.jpg
    I got the first two mortises on Stile #2 chopped and fitted. Back was hurting a bit, as was the thumb. Left the toys out and called it a night..

Hopefully, tomorrow I can get something done, only need three more mortises chopped and fitted. Kind of dreading the glue up....not enough "good" hands.
    Stay tuned...

Lovely work, Stumpy. (jk)
    You keep doing work like this it'll be hard to live up to your own hype when that thumb heals. :P

Three mortises are done...finally...
    glue up went about as well as could be expected....added an extra pipe clamp..
    IMG_1258 (640x480).jpg
    Added one in the center...."F" style clamps came AFTER the pipe clamps...

1 x 2s are now IN the shop.....went I can get a bit of room, I can start building the webframes....as soon as I decide how wide to make the case. Most of the stuff I have for drawer fronts would be between 24" and 28".......may go with the 24".....we'll see.

Rate I am going..not sure which will be "done" first...this Chest of drawers...or, my thumb...

Went with the 24" width....seemed to match the wood supplies I have left.

Since I can't get to the mitre box to do any cutting, and not enough room to cut down 8 footers...
    saw.JPG
    I had this mitre box sitting upstairs, with the correct saw....hauled that heavy thing down the steps to the shop, installed in on the bench. One of the 1 x 2 x8' pine boards is now 4 pieces at 1 x 2 x 24".....enough for two webframes....out of the 5 I need. Need to figure the side pieces for length plus tenons. Have to allow for the 1/4" back panel, and the 3/4" face frame.

Webframes for the top drawer.....since I will be using half width drawers, need to build a box to support and separate them.

Starting to get interesting now....stay tuned...

Natasha, we have Plan...
    plan.jpg
    All the measurements I need, to build the web-frames.....
    Plan also calls out for a Walnut Face Frame...
    Walnut.jpg
    3/4" x 4" x 7'.....3 pieces of Black Walnut....might be enough...
    There MIGHT be enough Maple to build the drawers....I have a bit of Poplar to use for the drawers backs

Walnut.jpg
    Maybe. Tomorrow I will try to cut all the parts for the web-frames, we'll see

Stay tuned

If this is getting a bit long winded again, let me know. Hope I'm not boring anybody...

Ok, started at 0900, ended at 1235hrs.....Clamps were removed form the side #2 glue up. Got the "spare" mitre box set up on the bench top..
    mitre box.jpg
    10 at 11-1/4" long, and a few kickers..
    short parts.jpg
    Set up a re-saw jig on the bandsaw, and reset the mitre box..
    stop block 1.jpg
    A stop to set how long a tenon would be...the metal one that came with the saw was too short.
    depth stop.jpg
    Depth stops. They work, just a bit fussy is all...Bandsaw?
    tall cut.jpg
    Jig was to the waste side. the waste would then just fall away.
    drawer runner.jpg
    Mitre box even did a decent job with the wide part..
    tenons.jpg
    Tenons are done.....BRB, with where these tenons will be going...stay tuned
    Had a few 8' pine 1 x 2s to cut down....needed 10 @24" long..
    long parts.jpg

Ran out of space for pictures....oh well....most of the saw work is done. I put the spare mitre box and saw away...for now..
    mortise jig.jpg
    Took a few minutes to track down the mortise jib, and get it attached to the bench...Tools? Backsaw makes an angle cut for each side of the mortise. Mallet and chisel to pop the waste out.
    Then a dry fit...
    dry fit.jpg
    Then do the other end the same way. This frame was a bit "special" That wide part goes into the middle, to act as drawer runners for the two top drawers....
    laid out.jpg
    Marked a center line on everything. laid out for the two mortises...and found a knot....we have ways...
    what knot.jpg
    What knot? Maybe a dry fit?
    dry fit 2.jpg
    Looks good from here. Got the mortises in the other long rail chopped and fitted, spread some Elmers around, and added a few clamps
    glued up 1.jpg
    Glued and screwed the drawer guide in place...
    kicker.jpg
    And, added a kicker, to keep the next drawer down from tipping when it is opened..
    set this aside..
    notched.jpg
    Laid out, and notched the long rails for the top web frame. Why notched?

They have to fit around the top of the posts, as the top rail is thinner. Ran out of photo space again?

Maybe when I have that frame done, I can show it off....stay tuned...

Almost chopped the mortises on the wrong side....even had one all laid out....oops. THIS is how it is supposed to go..
    correct mortise.jpg
    The notch fits around the corner post/stiles. The top rail is thinner than the stiles. Got this frame done today..
    top frame.jpg
    And,THIS time, I remembered to add the countersunk pilot holes. Issues still with the frame....screws to hold the two kickers..
    IMG_1292 (640x480).jpg
    Were too long, I took each back out, and ground off the excess with the grinder...I have also had to trim almost an 1/8" off the kickers.....must have cut them out on the wrong side of the lines..
    Short rails: These needed a bit of work..
    square thumb.jpg
    Yep,that be my sore thumb. 1 x 2s were a bit "rough". One of the rails even had a slight twist...
    jack plane.jpg
    And a few were a bit more than 1-1/2" wide....Millers Falls No. 11 fixed those issues..
    I installed the Forstner bit in the drill press, cordless wasn't spinning fast enough..
    pilot holes.jpg
    Then used a drill bit for the pilot holes....

Going to pause here, as the next part is a bit long...BRB..

Ok. on these mortises....I use the tenon that goes in each mortise to lay out on the long rail. Clamped into the "Mortise Jig", so I could do a little saw work..
    backsaw.jpg
    No, I don't cut into my vise. I saw at an angle..
    saw cut.jpg
    Something like this. Then I chop a hole at the back end..
    chopping.jpg
    Then lay the chisel flat( like doing a pare cut) and pop the waste out. A clean up and a dry fit..
    dry fit.jpg
    Then do the other three corners..
    single kicker frame.jpg
    Glue, clamps, a kicker (or two) and call it done. Mortise jig acts as a third hand during these glue ups.

Have two more frames to do...ran out of clamps, though. Called it a day ( afternoon...)

Stay tuned....getting close to Case Assembly time...

I could make this one real long..or just hit the highlights...almost 5 straight hours IN the shop, today....got a lot done..

IMG_1307 (640x480).jpg
    Last of the web-frames was done...
    IMG_1311 (640x480).jpg
    Clamped the side together...needed to remove a little extra on the one. Bandsaw to hog most of it off, then clamp the two back up..
    IMG_1314 (640x480).jpg
    And finish with a couple planes...both edges were done, rebates for the plywood back were made..
    IMG_1322 (640x480).jpg
    Then added the web frames..
    IMG_1323 (640x480).jpg
    Glue and screws. Finally got all the frames attached to both sides...
    IMG_1327 (640x480).jpg
    Set aside for awhile. Started milling up the Walnut..
    IMG_1328 (640x480).jpg
    To use as the trim. Resaw some of it to size. Will need to clean the saw marks up....cut them 1/8" over size for width.

Kind of lost track of time down there, today......too much fun?

Sorry, nothing got done today....went out to the World's Longest Yard Sale.....kind of road-weary....not good for working with sharp objects...

Nice work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I could make this one real long..or just hit the highlights...almost 5 straight hours IN the shop,
    I know what you mean, sort of.
    I'm building my workbench, and recording it and posting on Youtube. It is very difficult to condense 3-5 hours down to something around 30 minutes or less and end up with something interesting and coherent, instead of dull and confusing.

Thought I'd try the shop today...to take my mind off other things.....lost a friend last week.

Should have stayed out of the shop....Monday Follies were in effect, today.

the dovetail gang.jpg
    Cut these things on both end of the Walnut rails...needed them all jointed to match each other....had a bunch of trouble doing the clamp up, for both eges to be jointed..this was the easier one...going to be one of those days.
    Used a couple different Jointers
    IMG_1356 (640x480).jpg
    Used a #5, a No. 11, and the No. 0-7
    jointer.jpg
    Somehow got this task done, and set the parts aside...was going to get Fancy at the top rail..
    wasted space.jpg
    Looks goods? Went to chop the pins on the stiles......pins broke off..
    Took this part directly to the bandsaw, and cut the ends off. About threw the back out..
    up in the air.jpg
    This case is starting to get heavy....but at least I can mark and chop sockets for the tails to almost fit into..
    chopped.jpg
    Top rail is now the "Bottom Rail", will cut a few curves along it's bottom edge. Glue, and screws to attach it, covered by matching plugs.
    quitting time.jpg
    Got to about this point, marked out for the next sockets to be chopped...nah...Quitting time sounds better. Will need to make a new rail for the top. Will use a "Half pin" dovetail for that top rail. Was trying to work while distracted, on a Monday to boot....should have stayed upstairs..

Tomorrow being Tuesday..things might go a bit better? Stay tuned..