Thread: Tractors Multiply and are Costly

Tractors Multiply and are Costly

A couple people called and wrote to ask where I had been; in short on the farm the wife purchased a couple of years back. Members here answered a few basic questions about tractors and many here offered advice. Some even recommended a tractor forum with loads of members and expertise. Yet out of everyone, no one mentioned that tractors tend to multiply. And they're every bit as expensive as tools, and more with all those implements.....tillers, blades, buckets, booms, grapples, etc.

Cub Lo-Boy.jpg 1.jpg Side.jpg 1845 Right.jpg

We started with the Cub Lo Boy 154 that came with the farm....but it requires lots of attention and runs on gasoline. Despite that it mows along just fine and serves as a backup mower. Now the farm has two Yanmar tractors, a YM147D and YM276D. The smaller one is set up as the primary mower. The larger one does "tractor stuff." And then there is the Case 1845C skid steer; it does most of the hard work and has cut in roads, destroyed woods, pops out stumps, etc. Hopefully this is enough......

Tractors are like clamps, you can never have too many!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Tractors are like clamps, you can never have too many!
    Bruce,

I will remember that. They're great when they work but they bring up words unauthorized to use in SMC when they don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    They're great when they work but they bring up words unauthorized to use in SMC when they don't work.
    There is a simple way to eliminate the stress of mechanical unreliability - just buy new!

Machines (and trailers) multiply on my farm too. My experience is EACH piece of equipment I buy is more than everything in my shop combined that uses electrical power, especially if it's new, heavy, perhaps Kubota orange, and/or uses diesel fuel! Next on my list is a track hoe. You may not know it yet but you need one too. You really need one.

I like the treads on your skid steer - there are so many times I could have used those on mine. Any reasonable guy could use two skid steers, one tracked and one not. And three tractors - one big honkin' one for power, one medium for everyday, and one small to get into tight places. And a backhoe - it would be hard to live without a backhoe.

This is my latest toy, er, essential farm machine (and with hydraulic dump bed, yes! [happy dance])

RTV_IMG_20170529_184009_708.jpg

I added a tempered glass windshield and steel roof just after this photo.

JKJ

John,

Your advice could get one into a lot of trouble. If that's you driving the Kubota then the farm equipment is having a reverse aging impact on you. The old Yanmar tractors work well as does the Case skid steer. That Cub Lo Boy caused a lot of angst last year but I am faster at repairing it and knowing what needs repaired. It's not long for the farm and going to a friend who has a 26 acre lot with no tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    John,
    Your advice could get one into a lot of trouble. If that's you driving the Kubota then the farm equipment is having a reverse aging impact on you. The old Yanmar tractors work well as does the Case skid steer. That Cub Lo Boy caused a lot of angst last year but I am faster at repairing it and knowing what needs repaired. It's not long for the farm and going to a friend who has a 26 acre lot with no tractor.
    That's my youngest son adding to burn pile #3. I'm so elderly and feeble I had to take the picture supported by my diesel-powered walker.

If you like fixing things, I'll send you the little Cub Cadet 4wd truck that the Kubota replaced. I bought it new about 10 years ago and finally had enough of it. What a piece of junk...

My Lovely Bride said if I want a track hoe she's not paying for it - I have to save up. Can you believe that? I was stunned. She has these silly ideas about replacing the deck, adding a porch, new wood siding, paving the driveway, moving some walls, remodeling a couple of baths, getting herself a new 4-wheeler. Ok, the last one makes good sense.

JKJ

Buying new doesn't eliminate the problem. Stuff still breaks from errant stumps, vibration causing something to loosen up and falling off when you forget to check, things that get caught by branches, and so on on and so on. Then there's all the work modifying then.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Buying new doesn't eliminate the problem. Stuff still breaks from errant stumps, vibration causing something to loosen up and falling off when you forget to check, things that get caught by branches, and so on on and so on. Then there's all the work modifying then.
    You are right - I was considering the comparison between old equipment held together by wire and duct tape and abused hydraulics compared to a new vehicle off the lot. However, I've learned to go over even brand new equipment carefully before use. 10+ years ago I bought a new Kubota 60" zero turn mower (incredible machine) and after unloading I found loose bolts, a loose radiator hose clamp, and no coolant in the radiator! The dealer apologized profusely but I was glad I caught all that instead of jumping on it and mowing! If I have something delivered I make the guy go over everything with me before he leaves.

I also continue to learn new things to check. I do regularly check tire bolts and pressures, fluid levels, and have to tighten some bolts repeatedly, such as high stress points on the backhoe. But now I know to inspect for oil seepage and play on the front axle bearings on my 4wd tractor. A few months ago one bearing failed and the entire axle fell off! Instead of $50 to replace bearing and seal, I had the joy of spending $400 for those plus axle, hub, and case. Yippee!

I also learned to never, ever let someone else run my equipment unless I'm standing there, even with "but I've been operating a bobcat for 50 years". I don't know how knowledgeable and careful he actually is - maybe he's been abusing equipment for 50 years! They have not read the manual for my machine, slowly gained experience with handling and operation, and learned the quirks of that machine. If something gets broken, I want to break it myself.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I also learned to never, ever let someone else run my equipment unless I'm standing there, even with "but I've been operating a bobcat for 50 years". I don't know how knowledgeable and careful he actually is - maybe he's been abusing equipment for 50 years! They have not read the manual for my machine, slowly gained experience with handling and operation, and learned the quirks of that machine. If something gets broken, I want to break it myself.
    The owner tends to be easier on equipment than another operator. The owners knows they have to fix the equipment if it breaks often for a lot of money.

I worked at a fairgrounds cutting grass on a big riding mower for five summers. I always took a day or two off over the summer. They would have somebody else drive the mower while I was gone. Back then the mowers still had a steel deflector on the deck. I could go all summer without bending the deflector by hitting something and invariably the deflector would get bent by another operator in a single day. I try to take care of things even if they aren't mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    And rats! The new equipment and vehicles get torn up by mice and rats. The wires have soy based insulation and they love to chew on it. My 22 year old f150 never had a problem but my wife's tundra is under constant attack.

If you go old, go properly old. My David Brown is over 60 years old and still starts first turn even if it's left for 6 months. I haven't broken it yet either. Wish I could say the same for the other tractor and the backhoe. Cheers