Thread: hollow form

hollow form

When making a hollow form with a collar of a different wood when and how is the collar wood attached? before you ever start or after shaping? Any help will be much appreciated.
    Wally

Hate to jump in on this early, but it might depend. I have added a collar after the major hollowing to allow for a larger access to hollow and then using a necked down collar ring. One piece I just finished has a "loose" collar to allow for using the tall vase with a 3" opening or with collar set on the opening is down to 1" and even has a loose finial to plug the hole. Guess my choice would be to add after hollowing for most cases.

I have trued the glue joint prior to hollowing and then glued, finished shaping up the out side form then hollowed. I have also done as Thomas has described above and for the same reasons. All seems to depend upon the situation at hand. Try different approches and see what works for you.
    C&C WELCOME

After. Let the wood move after hollowing and re-turn, recenter, and then glue the collar in. If you glue it in before, and the wood moves, bad things will probably happen. I'm assuming that the collar is a different wood and will move differently. Or the collar grain is aligned different and again will move differently. Or both. Good luck!