Thread: Minimizing dust blowin-in through open window ?

Minimizing dust blowin-in through open window ?

What style of window ( casment vs awning vs double hung vs etc) and screen best minimizes the dust blown in through a partially open window?

In a bathroom with no vent fan, there is currently a small aluminum single hung window, about 16" x 24", which will often be left partially open for ventillation. The sill is about 5 ft from the floor and also from the ground outside. The old aluminum window panel is loose and it only takes a few days for brown dirt to blow in and cover the sill even when the window is closed. What type of window would be the best replacement ? - or is there some kind of cover that could be put on the outside of the window to allow ventilation but minimze dust?

Sounds like you need a little wind fence outside that window. Maybe try a mock up - plywood panel - for a week or so to see if that's effective.
    Can't think that the kind of window matters as a dust deterrent. Awning windows are favorites of mine whereas casements are absolutely the worst IMHO. Both opinions based on the same reason - keeping rain out. I like being able to leave a window open without regard to whether it might rain during the course of the day when I'm not home. An awning can stay open without inviting rain into the house or onto itself. A casement lets in water and gets destroyed in the process because the sash gets wet. The downside to awnings is that they invite spiders to nest in between the screen and the open window. That becomes a regular chore to pass through with the vacuum cleaner.

Double hungs are great too and as with the awning - buy the best you can afford - not an item to go for the cheap. Double hungs can keep rain out too but you need to be more thoughtful of how much you leave the sash up or if you can just leave the upper sash lowered. If you have a nice roof overhang keeping the upper sash open is a great option.

As for windows low to the ground - the awning is the most difficult for someone to climb into the house through - likewise it provides the least easy egress in case of a fire. Casements are basically doors. Having said all that - if I had the right house in the right climate I would love some tall French windows swinging close to the floor (or a window seat) and opening into a garden or other inspiring view. Maybe some time later in life or in my next life .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I don’t think there’s a window screen made that will keep the fine dust out. A good evaporative cooler with high CFM will help by creating a positive air-flow exiting through the open window. The only solution I have found that works is refrigerated air and keeping the windows closed. Even with that we still get dust just going in & out of the house.

I’ve been in New Mexico for 41 years..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Air blowing around outside is going to stir up a bunch of dust. The dust settles out soon after the air stops moving. That is why the dust settles inside the window. Sam's idea of a wind fence should help if it can slow the air down enough to let the dust settle before it reaches the window.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Sounds like you need a little wind fence outside that window. Maybe try a mock up - plywood panel - for a week or so to see if that's effective.....
    I remember windows that had a fixed glass panel "fence" at the bottom of a single- or double-hung window. It was on the inside, full width and maybe a foot high. It was spaced wider at the top - maybe 2" from the opening at the bottom and 4-5" at the top. If the window was up a few inches, air flowing in would be diverted upwards. I was told it was for rain but it should also get the heavier dust.

There seem to be two separate issues here:

1. Dust coming through the window when it is closed.
    2. Dust coming through the screen when it is open.

I don't know how to fix number two, but any decent new window should be sealed well enough to keep dust out when closed. Casement windows seal the best, but new double hung windows are really good too. If you're getting dust in through the closed window you're also losing air conditioning or heat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    There seem to be two separate issues here:

1. Dust coming through the window when it is closed.
    2. Dust coming through the screen when it is open.

I don't know how to fix number two, but any decent new window should be sealed well enough to keep dust out when closed. Casement windows seal the best, but new double hung windows are really good too. If you're getting dust in through the closed window you're also losing air conditioning or heat.
    As Brian said, two issues. Any window that allows dust in when closed properly needs maintenance, repair or replacement. With the window open, there is little you can do to eliminate dust infiltration. Two things that may help minimize it however is to add a filter (it will only catch the larger dust particles) or blow air out of the bathroom through the window via an in-window fan. Even the European style windows that I favor, will allow dust in through the top ooening. It probably won't end up on the interior sill, but it will come in. Baffles help but are not a cure.

At our house, we face similar issues. Our windows (pretty much all of them are open most of the year - no air conditioning and a relatively mild climate). Dust comes in, we clean it up. This isn't very satisfying to the OP I am sure. But fighting mother nature is difficult unless you use physical, non-permeable barriers. We end up with blown sand on our third story deck.

To the OP, could you consider adding a bathroom fan?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    . Two things that may help minimize it however is to add a filter (it will only catch the larger dust particles)
    A filter is an interesting idea. It wouldn't matter if light was blocked from part of the window. Are there commerical products for attaching filters to windows? - or is it strictly a DIY project?

To the OP, could you consider adding a bathroom fan?
    I wouldn't. The house has a new roof, the bathroom has just been rennovated - so I leave the project of adding vent fans to the next owner.