Thread: Sinjoe Laser Issue with power/lens?

Sinjoe Laser Issue with power/lens?

My 150W Sinjoe laser, while I was manually operating it to cut 1/4" panels at 40 mA "lost power". I don't have a sense of how the mA reading relates to what I should expect coming out of the tube but I was running the laser at high power. 80% of full power (possibly more). The laser still was sending but at a much weakened effect on the wood. Initially concerned that I had "pushed it too hard" I thought I may have damaged the power source or the tube.

I ended up seeing that the lens I had was destroyed and felt relief that, hopefully, this was the only problem. I replaced the lens with a smaller diameter lens meant to fit another machine and laser head ( I don't have one for this machine and am ordering it). I am getting better power but nothing like what I typically would have gotten before.
    broken sinjoe lens.jpg

I don't know if the lens is the only problem or if the lens damage could point to some bigger issue that is present. I don't understand why the lens would have failed. The water cooler was working and the temperature was ok. I can't see any cracks in the tube. The power still says it is going up to 40+ mA when I ask it to. Just don't cut like it used to.

Looking for help problem solving this.
    100 Watt Laserworld TH 9060 pass through CO2 laser (220 volt)
    Laser cut 5.3
    JCUT 25S 4.5kW (6hp) water cooled, dual spindles, 1300X2500x300(z) or approx 4'x8'x12" table
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

40mA is wayyyyyyyy too high Dan, it should spike to 35 when triggering then drop back to 32-33 when running

The lens has got dusty, with bigger tubes any dust on a lens will destroy it pretty quickly
    You did what !

Thanks Dave! Obviously, I had no idea. Is it possible or likely that I would have damaged anything besides the lens by running it at 40 milliamps?

You will have taken quite a lot of life off of the tube at that power, how much it's impossible to say to be honest
    You did what !

Ouch. Had no idea I have been running it at that power pretty regularly though I don't actually run the laser more than a couple times a month typically. Cutting 1/4 inch cork I run it high but not so high when engraving.

Is there a big difference in focal lenses? Is there a type you recommend?
    100 Watt Laserworld TH 9060 pass through CO2 laser (220 volt)
    Laser cut 5.3
    JCUT 25S 4.5kW (6hp) water cooled, dual spindles, 1300X2500x300(z) or approx 4'x8'x12" table
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw