Thread: Slightly Spalted Pear

Slightly Spalted Pear

I turned this green and it doesn't look too stable, so I thought I'd take some pictures before it dries out and cracks. This was the stump of an ornamental pear I planted about 12 years ago which died earlier this summer. The trunk checked badly and I'm not sure I'll get anything from it at all. All the times I read about how much you all love turning pear, I don't remember ever reading about the smell. What a wonderful turning experience! Right now it has Watco DO and nothing else. I put it in a plastic bag until I figure out how to dry it. C&C welcome.
    IMG_5147.jpgIMG_5146.jpgIMG_5154.jpgIMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5160.jpgIMG_5156.jpgIMG_5162.jpg

7.5" x 4"
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Wow, what a gorgeous piece of wood. Nice presentation in your piece.

I like your style, Doug. Every piece seems to have a pleasing shape - this is no exception.

off topic - would you mind sharing how you go about photographing your bowls? I find the black background really brings out more "flavor" than the white one I use. I notice you put it on a mirror, is it in a black box of some kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    I like your style, Doug. Every piece seems to have a pleasing shape - this is no exception.

off topic - would you mind sharing how you go about photographing your bowls? I find the black background really brings out more "flavor" than the white one I use. I notice you put it on a mirror, is it in a black box of some kind?
    I got an inexpensive photo tent on Amazon. It came with a few different backdrops. That's another bowl, not a mirror. I just use whatever is close. I'm still experimenting with multiple flash and higher F-stops for depth of field.

Blog Entries
    Wow. Beautiful piece, Doug. You are truly gifted. I always look forward to seeing your bowls.
    I was able to salvage a small piece of an apricot tree that had died on me. Rather, it was supposed to be a dwarf fruit cocktail....5 varieties on one tree. What a sweet smell that was turning also.
    I gotta get me some pear.

Keep those beauties coming. They are inspiring.

Very nice piece Doug, love your style! I do see a couple of places for potential cracks, hopefully it will behave.

Nice piece. In the first photo, where the little mushroom shape is (left center) it looks like ring shake/check to me. The is a fairly distinct color line there... If the wood is still wet and drying, I would expect it to crack along that line.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Nice piece. In the first photo, where the little mushroom shape is (left center) it looks like ring shake/check to me. The is a fairly distinct color line there... If the wood is still wet and drying, I would expect it to crack along that line.

robo hippy
    That has me worried, too. I'm looking for a paper bag and thinking about fixing the door on my refrigerator kiln, in the hope I can slow down the drying. Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary