Thread: Popular Woodworking Modern Lounge Chair

Blog Entries

Popular Woodworking Modern Lounge Chair

It's been awhile since I was excited about a project. The June issue of Popular Woodworking features a Modern Lounge Chair.
    It is wood and Danish seat cord. I ordered the brass needed last night. I have wood and seat cord.

I'm using mesquite wood, a brown wood like walnut, but without the purple hue. Check it out.

I built my first chair when I attended a Paul Sellers class at Homestead Heritage in Waco, Texas. It was the Brazos Rocker, his design. It is a mesquite chair.
    The class lasted two weeks.

Homestead Heritage still conducts the class with Frank Strazza. Check it out if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    It's been awhile since I was excited about a project. The June issue of Popular Woodworking features a Modern Lounge Chair.
    It is wood and Danish seat cord. I ordered the brass needed last night. I have wood and seat cord.

I'm using mesquite wood, a brown wood like walnut, but without the purple hue. Check it out.
    You'll need more than the brass. There's a bunch of screws and some other stainless steel bits too. Not to mention the paper cord. I've got everything I need for this. I may go with hard maple for this though I'd like to use jatoba (Brazilian cherry). For me, this will be a winter project.

Blog Entries
    I ordered the screws and have them. I am excited about this project. I've had the wood acclimating in my shop for about three weeks. It is four 1 1/16 thick x 60" long pieces of mesquite.

Mesquite, like walnut will turn your hands purple, but washing your hands and rinsing with concentrated lime juice will remove the stain.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I ordered the screws and have them. I am excited about this project. I've had the wood acclimating in my shop for about three weeks. It is four 1 1/16 thick x 60" long pieces of mesquite.

Mesquite, like walnut will turn your hands purple, but washing your hands and rinsing with concentrated lime juice will remove the stain.
    I'll have to try that. I've been working up a walnut log into turning blanks and have had purple hands for a couple weeks now...

I was born on the border where 90% of the trees were mesquite and I likes me some mesquite. Looking forward to photos. Go Lowell go.
    David

Blog Entries
    The brass and stainless steel arrived. I will start milling wood to width and thickness tomorrow. I'm excited about the project. I have all of the components on hand.
    The wood is rough. I will run an edge on the jointer, rip oversize, and flatten on the jointer, and plane to thickness. Then the fun part starts.
    You have to be selective with mesquite. It can have brittle spots. My boards are all sound though, I'll still be watchful.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-27-2017 at 4:57 PM.

I can remember cutting old, old downed mesquite just before dark for firewood with a chainsaw and watching sparks fly off the blade. Hard stuff. Polishes up very, very well with an oil finish that brings up all kinds of orangey/yellowy/purple colors swirling in amongst the various brown/tan hues of the wood.
    David

Lowell,
    I agree, that is an awesome looking project. It's definitely on my want to build list. I'm glad you are doing a thread on your build. I'll be following with great interest.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

For those of us who don't get Popular Woodworking, a pic of the chair would be nice.

Sounds good Lowell. Look forward to seeing the pictures.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    For those of us who don't get Popular Woodworking, a pic of the chair would be nice.
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ju...n-lounge-chair

I have subscribed to Popular Woodworking and also Fine Woodworking for years. I also pick up Woodsmith when I see it.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-29-2017 at 10:43 AM.