Thread: Forstner bits: is Fisch the OEM for Freud?

Forstner bits: is Fisch the OEM for Freud?

Hi all,

I'd like to purchase a good set of forstner bits. The Freud 7-piece set seems to be a good value at about $58. They are made in Austria:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AV756

I then found another 7-piece set by Fisch, also made in Austria, but for about $108 from Amazon:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/f...indrical-shank

A close look at these bits suggests that they are actually the same product (although the Fisch linked to above come with a box).

Does anyone know if they are in fact (or probably) the same product, i.e., that Fisch is the OEM for the Freud bits?

Just curious because the Freuds are quite a bit less expensive.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ken Cobbing; 07-25-2017 at 2:04 PM.

Ken, maybe I'm missing something but they don't look alike to me.

I have always been happy with Freud’s quality. I have their 7 pc carbide Forstner set that works very well.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Whoops - just noticed that the Amazon link has an incorrect photo (hex shank instead of cylindrical shank).

Photos of the cutter heads look about identical to me:

Fisch "Wavecutter":

wavecutter.jpg

Freud "Precision Shear":
    3ba9bf87-7933-418a-8b38-dd05590249e3.jpg

I just bought the 16 piece Freud kit.. Haven't even used one but was impressed with the fit and finish.. I was surprised they where made in Austria ..

I don't know who makes the Freud but I have a set of them and they work great. And I've had the bits for years.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.