Thread: Slightly Spalted Pear, Part II, Oops

Slightly Spalted Pear, Part II, Oops

This is the other half of the pear stump. I got the wall too thin, right in the middle, and it's already starting to warp in an unattractive way, flattening out the curve. The vertical rim looks to tall as well. The wood is pretty anyway. Thanks for looking. Sorry about the sawdust in the photos. C&C always.
    IMG_5165.jpgIMG_5166.jpgIMG_5167.jpgIMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5169.jpgIMG_5170.jpgIMG_5171.jpg

7.5" x 3.5" Watco DO
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

It is a pretty bowl, love the color. I agree that it is a little on the tall side. I think if the height stopped at the first bead it would be darn near perfect.
    Still a very nice piece though!

Pic #5 was the first thing that caught my eye when I first opened the thread and thought you had a nested bowl set. Never had the opportunity to turn pear but you've got some nice contrasting colors there. Are you using a glow stick on the last pic?
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Pic #5 was the first thing that caught my eye when I first opened the thread and thought you had a nested bowl set. Never had the opportunity to turn pear but you've got some nice contrasting colors there. Are you using a glow stick on the last pic?
    Overhead tungsten to show the inconsistent wall thickness. I wish I could turn 5 identical bowls for a nested set. I'm still trying to core more than 4 out of a large blank. I usually use a 5/8 Thompson gouge. I was messing around with a 3/8 HSS bowl gouge to see if I could make a row of beads. Even though the bowl didn't turn out well, the beads are where I wanted them and the bowl didn't require sanding except a touch up with some 220, so there is that. One more for the wall of shame, LOL.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary