Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeWalt survey

DeWalt survey

I just got a survey from DeWalt that was all about Craftsman tools. Is that a sign that they are going to take over the Craftsman name.

Didn't Stanley Black & Decker bought Craftsman not that long ago?

DeWalt is owned by Stanley Black & Decker as well as Porter Cable they own a lot of tool brands and yes they did buy Craftsman tools for more than $900,000,000

Yes Sears sold the Craftsman name to B&D a year or so back to raise money to stave off bankruptcy.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

The craftsman name is poison to the woodworking community. They screwed up buying that brand.

Every B&D tool I've had has been crap too. If that brand is on it I don't even look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K. Johnson View Post
    Every B&D tool I've had has been crap too. If that brand is on it I don't even look at it.
    I have had some good B&D tools their early cordless drills were great and I still have one of their reciprocating saws.

I don't believe Craftsman was ever a manufacturer of anything. They just negotiated with various tool companies to produce items to their price point and specs. Over the years they have sold Dewalt, Porter Cable, Rikon and many other brands under the Craftsman name. Most people getting started with tools unless they had friends family in the know started life with Craftsman branded items and quickly moved to better quality tools later in life. I did. Craftsman was the only tool brand name I knew until I started attending woodworking shows and reading magazines.

Now I avoid Craftsman branded products almost completely although I did purchase the 10" bandsaw that Rikon makes from Sears as it closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    The craftsman name is poison to the woodworking community. They screwed up buying that brand.
    I'll go along with the first statement, not the second.

The Craftsman name has brand loyalty like no other, their buyers don't know any better, they've never used a Unisaw or PM66 etc. The C-man brand provides a good value (in their eyes) for a tool that gets used 2 times a year.

The hand tools have always been a good bang for the buck, especially when on sale. Hopefully SBD will bring production back to the USA.

Women buy C-man tools for gifts like crazy, because they know the name and feel comfortable with it.

Don't forget about the huge OPE market C-man has, all for same reasons mentioned. People are happy to get 5 years out of a riding mower, think it was good, go buy another.

Ed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    The craftsman name is poison to the woodworking community.
    And B&D is not? Look what happened to Porter-Cable. If I hold my breath long enough will pride in product and practices come back?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Most pre-internet wood workers started with Craftsman tools and machinery and many still make fine furniture today using them. I have a 30+ year old ½” corded drill motor that will drill with the best of them. My 200 piece mechanics set that I bought when I was 17 still gets the job done.
    To call the name poison is a bit strong.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a 40+year old craftsman circular saw I used 2 days ago it still works fine.

I also have a 20year old craftsman belt/disk sander I use for sharping scrapers for wood turning as well as other things still works fine.

I also have a 1/2 Black & Decker drill I bought in a pawn shop 20 or so years ago it still works fine.

I think both brands have made tools that were in the price range of people that other tool companies don't.

I don't shop for them today but I have in the past and I have a tool chest full of CM socket and screw drivers that i bought more than 40 years ago and they still work.

PS i also buy Grizzly power tools hope that doesn't get me thrown off the fourm

Interesting comments. The mass market for power tools has a broad distribution of price points, users and needs. HF to Fein, Kobalt to Snap-on. We are sometimes quick to call tools "junk". Some buy tools for professional use while I would guess the vast majority of tools are sold for casual, hobbyist use and wIll last a very long time. I still have a myriad of Craftsman tools bought over a 50 year span. They all work today. I am pleased to see someone carry the trademark forward.

If most of us want to to hear the word "junk" unpleasantly applied, enter a project in a juried competition
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Craftsman used to be very good tools and they came with a lifetime guarantee. But when they went down, they went down fast. I remember taking an old ratchet back that was very smooth until I broke it after years of use and the salesman reached in a drawer and handed me a cheap replacement with plastic insides that was so stiff it would drive a nut back on that I was trying to take off. I still have the original sockets but had my wife buy me a new Snap-on ratchet for Christmas.

I also have a collection of 50's vintage Craftsman woodworking machines that are well made. However, my early 80's Craftsman RAS was lacking to say the least and doesn't come close to my 50's vintage DeWalt GWI.

Yesterday, I tuned up a Craftsman hand plane that someone gave me that appears to be fairly new. While the frog was milled flat, the bed wasn't and required some filing so the frog wouldn't rock. The machining wasn't nearly as good as that on my 1888 Stanley Type 5 or any of my other Stanley planes up to my Type 19.

In short, its a brand I used to rely on but don't even consider today.
    Last edited by Roy Turbett; 07-27-2017 at 9:22 PM.

I have an assortment of Craftsman stuff along with most other brands you can name . Seems older is better in a lot of cases. Folks badmouth DeWalt but I have a DW cabinet table saw that is approx. 60 years old, 500 lb, and built by Atlas-Clausing as was my Clausing cabinet saw, twin sister to the DW that are in the Unisaw-Powermatic class. Have had Uni's and a "66" but still keep the Clausing. I really think the bean counters are responsible for a lot of the tool companies cheapening up the products till the quality gets to the point that the imports are a better bang for the buck. End up shooting themselves in the foot. Can't sell junk just on the name forever.
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 07-30-2017 at 11:08 AM.