Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I take it all Back. Really.

I take it all Back. Really.

A while back i posted to a wooden mallet discussion. I am new to hand tool woodworking, and mentioned that most of the woodworkers I had seen tended to use the plastic headed mallets, and I had seldom seen them use wooden ones. I posited that mallet making might perhaps be a "beginner" thing, ie; a project for new guys to help one learn a bit, and that I was perfectly happy with my $5 white rubber mallet.
    Whereupon the thread was inundated with gentlemen saying "No, perish the thought. I would not know what to do without my wooden mallet", or other words to that effect.
    So, I had some cutoffs from a couple of guitar builds, and decided to build me a nice mallet. I used it cutting mortises and tenon this afternoon on my bench build. I am blown away at how efficient this thing is. There is power in every strike. The lightest of taps transfers a huge amount of force to the chisel, and thus the wood. I cut split tenon with it, and it was like going from a Yugo to a high performance sports car. Wonderful, and I'd just like to say, "I would not know what to do without my wooden mallet".

Below are pics. It is laminated, curly maple on the outside, black walnut in the center, and straight grained maple for the handle. 3 or 4 coats of wipe on poly took care of the finish.
    Once again I have to say thank you for the knowledge on this forum.
    100_3619.jpg

100_3620.jpg

100_3621.jpg

Works good. Looks Good. Can't ask for more than that.

Very nice!

Looks great from here!

Thank you, gentlemen.

Much nicer than mine!

That looks really slick, Mike!

Kinda too nice to use. Well done, Sir.
    Be Blessed

George

Thanks for posting that MB2, I had wondered the same thing myself. Great project for me. How about a Rube Goldberg mallet?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Nice Mallet! This was the first thing I made after my bench, and i wish i had made it before.

Blog Entries
    It is great when such a great looking tool can be made from scrap wood. You made a great job of it.

I posited that mallet making might perhaps be a "beginner" thing, ie; a project for new guys to help one learn a bit
    There are a few projects that are great for beginners to help build skill, making a mallet is one of them. Others would be a pair of bench hooks, shooting board, saw benches and on up to a bench.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-26-2017 at 3:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would have a huge problem with that mallet Mike - it looks too good to use ! Nice work

Nice!

Now go on, find yourself a lump of oak and mortice it for a handle. Just to make yourself a mallet which goes on maletting for ever when your laminated one has split apart. ;-)

13. Beautiful work!

I've been using a really crappy wooden mallet I bought in a box of tools at a flea market. Its an off the shelf hammer handle attached to a block of misshapen wood with screws...but it's much nicer than my rubber or deadblow mallets and that became clear almost immediately. The only thing I've done that improved things as much as that wooden mallet was moving to proper vises(I started out with a mechanics vise, a clamp, and a sort of bench hook thing)

There was a mallet swap a year or two ago on another forum where each participant sent another member a hand made mallet. The results were amazing. The variety of styles and materials for a simple and useful tool is staggering.

Thanks again, guys.
    On the woods used, I normally would not use flame maple for something like a mallet, but it was off cuts that pretty much would never be used for anything else, so......
    Daniel, I almost bought an old beat up mallet for a buck at a local flea market before I built this one.
    Kees, thanks. As far as the mallet splitting, if I joined the wood right, it should fail before the glue does. Although the glue was a couple of years old.