Thread: Dust Collection Help

Dust Collection Help

Evening all,

I have a SawStop contractor saw and use an Oneida Mini Gorilla 1.5 HP dust collector. The collector is hooked directly up to the saw via 4" flex hose. I just got the collector and had been using a shop vac previously. The pictures below show the amount of dust not picked up after ripping 4 2' 2x4s. Is this the best I can expect without trying to enclose the saw? I know a contractor saw isnt going to have great dust collection but I am pretty surprised at the results. Thus far it's no better than my shop vac. I dont have pictures but, after those initial rips I then edged the opposite sides to take off the rounded corners and I got absolutely covered in dust from my chest to the bottom of my shorts. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-26-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Deleted links to Photobucket

Hi Tim, the first thing I notice is no blade guard.

From a safety and a dust collection point of view, that's a significant issue.

Without over blade collection, a large portion of the saw dust produced will not be collected.

You need to put the guard back on and connect it to the dust collector.

B3 004.jpgCompleted Installation.jpg

The above photographs show my saw with a standard Euro guard, and the overarm guard I'm presently using...........Regards, Rod.

I can't see the pics. Please dont use photobucket, as they no longer allow pictures to be shared on forums.

I would agree with Ron. Without the blade guard, all saws collect much less dust. It just allows the dust to shoot straight upward whereas the blade guard contains the dust and gives whatever you are using for dust collection the opportunity to suck it downward. Try it with the blade guard on. That should improve dust collection significantly. Also, it's safer, even with a Sawstop given the goal should be to never trip the brake. No reason to tempt fate by not using the guard when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I can't see the pics. Please dont use photobucket, as they no longer allow pictures to be shared on forums.
    Gah, I heard they were doing that but hadnt been effected yet.

Here's the pics:

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I would agree with Ron. Without the blade guard, all saws collect much less dust. It just allows the dust to shoot straight upward whereas the blade guard contains the dust and gives whatever you are using for dust collection the opportunity to suck it downward. Try it with the blade guard on. That should improve dust collection significantly. Also, it's safer, even with a Sawstop given the goal should be to never trip the brake. No reason to tempt fate by not using the guard when you can.
    Those pictures were from a few days ago. Last night I was doing similar cuts and had the blade guard on and had similar results. I'll be looking into an over blade collection setup soon because this is basically like having no collector at all.