Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Cabinets

Wall Cabinets

Does anyone make deep wall cabinets? I was wondering if anyone did 16" deep verses 12" deep cabinets? These would be more for a laundry room and they would also be 42" tall too. Would 1/2" plywood for the sides and backs be strong enough? I don't think I've seen a commercial cabinet supplier with cabinets that deep.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-26-2017 at 7:28 AM.

You should be able to construct a box with good strength in that size with the materials you list together. And if they are ganged together well during installation, there is additional strength. The 15" deep cabinet boxes right behind me here in my home office above my credenza are manufactured that way and they are rock solid. Using 1/2" material makes them easier to hang, too, from a weight perspective. Since mine are traditional face frame with frame edges lining up with the box dimension, I used plywood spacers between the boxes to get the correct spacing between the boxes. That also allowed for an inset door.

IMG_0487.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

many manufactures make 15 in deep uppers. Ikea does not even sell 12's any more. We stuck with 12's as we only have 3 uppers and our current set of plates fit just fine and 15's take some head room away from the work surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You should be able to construct a box with good strength in that size with the materials you list together. And if they are ganged together well during installation, there is additional strength. The 15" deep cabinet boxes right behind me here in my home office above my credenza are manufactured that way and they are rock solid. Using 1/2" material makes them easier to hang, too, from a weight perspective. Since mine are traditional face frame with frame edges lining up with the box dimension, I used plywood spacers between the boxes to get the correct spacing between the boxes. That also allowed for an inset door.

IMG_0487.jpg
    Thanks for the reply Jim. Did you make them?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    many manufactures make 15 in deep uppers. Ikea does not even sell 12's any more. We stuck with 12's as we only have 3 uppers and our current set of plates fit just fine and 15's take some head room away from the work surface.
    I looked at all the cabinet manufacturers and it was either 12 inch or 24's for above refrigerators.

Just looked at the Ikea ones and they are all 15" like you said. Been in their stores and never noticed that. Guess when you aren't shopping Kitchen cabinets you don't think about it.
    Last edited by Peter Stahl; 07-26-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    My commercial cabinet from Lowe's over the washer and dryer is 15" deep. It is typical KD/RTA junk but, time was of the essence . 5/8" melamine coated particle board.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My standard depth over a washer & dryer is 18". I don't do anything special for construction on them.

If you are inclined to consider RTA (ready-to-assemble), look at Barker Cabinets. Wall cabinets in depths from 6 inches to refrigerator depth in whole inch increments. http://www.barkercabinets.com/default.asp
    Their designs are good. Materials and hardware are high quality. Cabinets are available raw or in a limited range of finishes.

No interest in the firm...just a satisfied customer.

BobV

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    My standard depth over a washer & dryer is 18". I don't do anything special for construction on them.
    Martin,

What do you make them with, plywood thickness and how tall? Do you use solid plywood backs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vallaster View Post
    If you are inclined to consider RTA (ready-to-assemble), look at Barker Cabinets. Wall cabinets in depths from 6 inches to refrigerator depth in whole inch increments. http://www.barkercabinets.com/default.asp
    Their designs are good. Materials and hardware are high quality. Cabinets are available raw or in a limited range of finishes.

No interest in the firm...just a satisfied customer.

BobV
    Thanks, I'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Martin,

What do you make them with, plywood thickness and how tall? Do you use solid plywood backs?

¾ Birch plywood. ½" Baltic Birch plywood backs screwed in 5" OC with 1¾" wood screws.

However tall the customer wants. They usually run out ceiling before I run out of cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Thanks for the reply Jim. Did you make them?
    Absolutely. All 1/2" material for the boxes, generally refinished before assembly so I could spray "flat". The face frames were applied after the boxes were on the wall using glue and 23 gage pins after scribing, assembly and finishing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    ¾ Birch plywood. ½" Baltic Birch plywood backs screwed in 5" OC with 1¾" wood screws.

However tall the customer wants. They usually run out ceiling before I run out of cabinet.
    Thanks again Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Absolutely. All 1/2" material for the boxes, generally refinished before assembly so I could spray "flat". The face frames were applied after the boxes were on the wall using glue and 23 gage pins after scribing, assembly and finishing.
    Sounds good Jim, thanks!

Do whatever depth you like. Just make sure the main user can access the space. Deep and to the ceiling is good but do you need a set of steps. Cheers