Thread: walnut oil keeps coming out of oak plywood

walnut oil keeps coming out of oak plywood

made some book shelves with my son-in-law out of oak plywood and solid oak trim. we used Mahoney's walnut oil to bring out the grain like i have on dozens of cutting boards. we wiped off the excess off the oak plywood, but it keeps coming out several weeks later. What's up with this?
    -bernie

Red oak, right? Red oak has pores that are long hollow tubes in the wood. You've filled them with oil, and now the oil is leaking back out. Probably if you keep wiping it off, it will eventually stop.

Yes, red oak. Why do I have this problem with plywood and not with solid red oak in cutting boards?

Is this really walnut oil? If so that was a mistake,any vegetable oil will go rancid. For wood in contact with food use mineral oil which will not go bad.
    I hope you mean it is walnut colored oil stain!
    Bill

walnut oil does not go rancid. I have used in on dozens of cutting boards as have many others.

Possibly the layer under the veneer is acting like a sponge and releasing the oil. I don't know any way to stop it other than time passing. Had this happen on some antique chairs that I paid to be refinished and the wooden arms seeped oil for about 2 years. Was a real pain.

I would think the glue would stop the oil from penetrating past the veneer.

Some of you finishers must have an idea on this one. Help me out.Why is the walnut oil still seeping out of the plywood? How can I stop it?

It's seeping out because the pores are full and when the air pressure goes lower it gets drawn out. I don't know if that's right, but it happens; doesn't really matter why. But you can get rid of it by wiping it with mineral spirits or Naptha. Might have to do that a few times over a couple of days, but it should remove it more quickly than waiting and wiping.

When it finally stops weeping, let it sit for another week or so and then try a wiping varnish.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    Some of you finishers must have an idea on this one. Help me out.Why is the walnut oil still seeping out of the plywood? How can I stop it?
    I made this mistake with red oak early on. Just keep wiping it a few times a day. My project finally stopped weeping after about a week.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler