Thread: Looking for a stone

Looking for a stone

Hello I'm Michael Pérez from Perú South America and its my first time in the forum.
    Well, I sharpen free hand most of the time and my routine starts with a natural stone about 1k then shapton 2k , naniwa 5k and finally leather strop with PFEIL compound and everything is ok. But when i need to flatten a blade, rectify and angle or squareness, I mean remove more material, I start with my naniwa brick blue shrimp and at the beginning it works nice I can see my progress in the blade and also the progress in the stone because it wears so fast and of course its complicated to keep it flat, but in the beginning I don't mind cos I need to remove a lot of material but when I'm close to the line I need to be, I move to my reliable Extra corse DMT 220 that swears to be flat and I trust, but can't work on it because it's to slow I'll need to spend all day so I move to sand papers and keep checking my progress and its becoming so frustrating I don't know if any body knows a good water stone that keeps reasonable flatness and works as a DMT when new.

Im not sure what would replace a 220 Dmt.Maybe some kind of slow speed grinder thats what I use when I need to regrind my v gouges.Most of the time my shaptons and leather strop are good enough.
    My carving chisel are pretty soft to me compared to my other steel edge tools.
    So I use the grinder for reshaping.
    Good luck
    Aj

Hello thank you very much I just finished my lie Nielsen A2 steel 2" blade and feel happy but my fingers doesn't want to touch any thing.

I use 180 grit Aluminum Oxide sandpaper. It's so fast the blade will get hot. Diamond doesn't compare.

If you wanted to stick with Diamond, then I think I'd look at the 140 grit Atoma.

Thanks for the advice. Finally I used my very coarse blue shrimp, but first I had to flatten the stone. But you know that Atoma has been in my head for a long time, I think I may give it a try.

I have a 180 grit Trend credit card that is fast as well, but I think I'd get the Atoma. It's a bit coarser and I've heard nothing but good about it.

i have a DMT 220 but I don't use is for flattening, I also wanted to try the credit card. I already put the Atoma in my shopping card on amazon, I have tried because my friend has it, so I know is good. Greetings

Like others, I use sandpaper for the grunt work.
    Have you thought of a coarse Aluminum Oxide stone? They'd be in or around 150 grit, I guess.

I haven't heard of that stone before Mike, but thanks I will read about it.
    Thanks everybody for the advices. Finally I have solved my problem.