Thread: vega fence /rails

vega fence /rails

HI- I have currently a sears 21833, ie dayton, masterforce, griz, and I think Ridgid too. Its really a nice saw especially for 400$ at sears before they self destructed another notch and discontinued all large power tools- the original fence and rails are horrible- I wlll say no more. I had some delta square tube ones laying around from an old delta, so I painted them and installed them on this and it was a gigantic improvement. I bought a vega pro 50 to go on a cabinet saw I'm restoring- so I was thinking of putting them on this. I am curious just how good i can make this saw If you use a thin kerf ===a think kerf decent decent saw blade (amana/tenryu/freud/etc, get everything squared up, throw the miter gauge and fence away and use an incra or anything else fence (as opposed to what came with it), you can have a very nice saw. I am amazed at the power, the clean cuts, the terrible dust control but acceptable, and solid- its heavy and it works well. I know these saws have been debated and argued over and over- my question is this:

Is there any advantage to having a 50" to right- fence/rails as opposed to a 40 or less? I rarely if ever cut large sheet goods, and like the portability of the smaller saw- (easier to tuck into a corner), but I kind of like those long rails. I'm just debating whether to get a 40, cut these down, or keep them.
    Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    I had one of the previous generation ZipCode saws. It was a great hybrid saw. I do not know how the 21883 compares to the Orion machines but, if I had not experienced an unexpected windfall I would still be running it. The 22124 did come with a Beisemeyer fence, cabinet mounted trunnions and cast iron all over the place and that along with an unexpectedly heavy construction may have contributed to the really good performance I was able to get out of the saw.

Since you have the cab saw setting there, I would pull the top on the C-man and compare what's going on under the hood . . . that's me. You could also just take your experience in operating the saw and if it has performed well, I wouldn't hesitate to slap a fence I already owned on it to see how it feels.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-26-2017 at 7:34 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thumbs up under the hood

I like that- -zip code saws- thats clever. Oh so true. We dont have menards here- but I heard they were on clearance for like 399 or some crazy thing- and you can get a store gift card on top of it. My motor died when it was new- the motor alone was 400$. So selling the whole unit for 399 is not making anyone any money.

SO--under the hood- the cabinet saw is ROUGH but has no motor . I took it out- it was HUGE, old and was going to cost more to get rebuilt than a new more efficient motor would cost. I'm debating- I would like to keep it original, the people at the motor place are doing additional testing- since I just took it to them day before yesterday.

I am not sure what to do about the 40 or 50 vega- I bought the vega for the cabinet saw ---and most likely will get the shorter one and send the 50inch back to amazon. I got the 50 originally because I want to put the router table in the saw- but i'm having reservations about that.
    Thanks