Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some of my stuff

Thanks, Frederick. For years I would stop what I was doing to make a set for someone. It had honestly never occurred to me to sell them because the way I see it, it's just a triangle with holes in it. For guys who build model aircraft, they're easier to make than what they'll build with them. But it seems they just wanted to get on with building their planes and not mess with making tools. I still have a regular job though. The job pays the bills and the fixtures pay for my toys. Life is good.

By the way, for those interested in the slingshot, there are a ton of free patterns out there including the one I made mine from. I think it's slingshot forums or something but just google, "Bill Hayes slingshot" and you'll find it. Again, this one is called, "The Patriot". I think he made his from G10 (fiberglass plate).

This is an RC flying wing I designed with a buddy of mine. Basically he designed the outline and I designed the rest including the construction methods. Then I built it.

It's named, "Thwing!" (you have to say the name enthusiastically - it's a legal requirement )

'http://www.airfieldmodels.com/gallery_of_models/rc/thwing!/index.htm'

Instead of cutting a bunch of ribs I made a bunch of spars that the skins lays over and creates the airfoil. Most of my designs are scratch-built and made up on the fly while I'm building. This one I had to draw enough of so I could draw the truss-work spars. It's not a complete set of plans and probably nobody else could build from my drawings unless they've done a lot of scratch-building themselves.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-28-2017 at 9:12 PM. Reason: removed direct link to for profit website owned by the OP

Really great work...and I'm sure that working with what you had available was good for your skills as well as for the excellent results you obtained. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Jim. I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I like your work. Glad you posted it.

Like others, I like your clamping system. I'll send you a PM with an inquiry - we really shouldnt do it here. (Hint: If you contribute $6 per year, you can advertize them for sale in that forum. )
    Not true Fred, members (or contributors) cannot use the forum to promote a commercial product.

From the TOS:

E. Commercial Advertising

1. Direct Commercial Affiliation

SawmillCreek maintains an active advertising and marketing program. As such, we seek to provide a non-competitive atmosphere for our advertisers by disallowing commercial posts from our members. Posts made by Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using SawMill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal. Members with direct commercial affiliation are defined to be those Members who stand to benefit financially from such a promotion.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-27-2017 at 9:21 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You also have some good homemade tool projects on your blog. I am already in the planning stage for a couple of them.

Thanks

Hi Marvin,

I'm glad you're finding some of it useful. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Not true Fred, members (or contributors) cannot use the forum to promote a commercial product.
    My bad Bruce. My aplogies.
    Fred

Since you like the miniature stuff and making gadgets and jigs, I will suggest doing a Google for "Tom Walden Miniatures". He has some amazing jigs for making doll house accessories. Another suggestion is Google "Paul Hamler tools". He makes from scratch miniature tools. Hamler's videos on You Tube are addictive, and are almost a full blown engineering education.

Thanks, Marvin. I will definitely look them up. I love watching good craftsman or even just seeing their work. It's nice if it's things I'm interested in but I'll watch anyone who knows what they're doing even if I don't have a real interest in ever doing it myself.