Thread: Dust collection question

Dust collection question

I am going to place my dust collector in a shed behind the garage. I was going to go with a cyclone but I'm not sure if it is necessary. I have been reading Bill Pentz's info. I have close neighbors I do not want to harm. I also do not want any fine dust making it's way into my AC system. Should I play it safe and stick with a cyclone or would a bag system be fine? with a cyclone the height requirement will require some shed roof modification.
    Mike

Mike, a cyclone, as you're aware, is to separate fine particles out of the airstream.

If you're not returning the air to the shop, you can use a cyclone without a filter, really reduces maintenance.

You could also use a cheap bag type collector as you're not concerned about air quality............Regards, Rod.

P.S. I would still go with the cyclone as it can handle foreign objects in the airstream such as tape measures, blocks of wood, screws, and of course allows you to use a floor sweep which is very handy.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 07-27-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added post script

Rod said it well. Either way Id still want a cyclone separating the incoming debris.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mercado View Post
    I am going to place my dust collector in a shed behind the garage. I was going to go with a cyclone but I'm not sure if it is necessary. I have been reading Bill Pentz's info. I have close neighbors I do not want to harm. I also do not want any fine dust making it's way into my AC system. Should I play it safe and stick with a cyclone or would a bag system be fine? with a cyclone the height requirement will require some shed roof modification.
    Mike
    I have done this same thing but just use the bag that came with the Grizzly dust collector. I bought a metal shed and they are all too short so I built a riser for the shed. Raised the entire shed, up a foot. I just made long boxes 12" x 6" using plywood siding and 2x6's. Only problem is, the sliding door does not reach the ground. Not a problem here though. I had planned to sound line the shed but found it to be unnecessary.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214