Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Motor Is Toast

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Bandsaw Motor Is Toast

Fried my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw's 1-horse motor. The factory wants $220 plus shipping. Any ideas how to find a replacement?

My Grizzly G0555 motor went out a couple of years ago and I just had it rebuilt for about $75 or $80. Ran much better than when it was new!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Probably can buy new as well. There are a number of electrical companies that could help, including Grainger. Tool repair places may be able to swap out a motor for you as well.

robo hippy

Harbor Freight sells electric motors, probably from the factory as the Grizzly tools motors.

I bought a motor from HF and when it arrived it had the name plate of a major electrical motor manufacturer on it.

Take a look at the motor and find the frame size. If you buy a motor with the same frame size and hp. It will be a drop in replacement. In general, the heavier the motor, the better the windings, the longer it will last. If go on ebay, and buy new old stock. They are often spares from a shelf in a factory. I have bought several motors that way.

high effeciency motors are nice, draw fewer amps, and have heavy windings that last for a long time

good luck,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    Take a look at the motor and find the frame size. If you buy a motor with the same frame size and hp. It will be a drop in replacement. In general, the heavier the motor, the better the windings, the longer it will last. If go on ebay, and buy new old stock. They are often spares from a shelf in a factory. I have bought several motors that way.

high effeciency motors are nice, draw fewer amps, and have heavy windings that last for a long time

good luck,
    Michael
    My experience is a little different. NEMA ratings for frames do not specify the length of the motor, for instance. The frame size dictates the mounting bolt pattern, and for the most part the shaft diameter. Some dimensions can/will vary based on the quality of the motor. If you are working in a confined enclosure check the overall dimensions.

You can also check Tractor Supply, they sell electric motors.

Google Electric motor repairs in your area, it may be something simple. Then take the motor to them, so it will fit.

Red's in Bremerton for repairs, not cheap but good.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    Take a look at the motor and find the frame size.
    It doesnt have to be the exact same frame. whats important is that distance from the base to the centre of the spindle.
    Almost any other difference doesn't matter. I dont have a Grizzley, but it looks belt driven. so you can change the pulley if needed.

So that allows a huge selective of motors. If you burned it out, go for more more HP.
    And there's likely a big selection of second hand. That motor looks pretty generic.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    The guy at Red's is the guy who said it was toast, Ralph, He also said he couldn't find a replacement. It has integral mounting brackets, making it a tough item to duplicate.

As far as having it rebuilt-- $90? I asked two shops about that budget price and they said it would be $400-500. If it was only the capacitor, maybe $75.

Guess I'm going to buy an original from Grizzly.

It depends on how much of a tinkerer you are but I'd look at replacing that Grizzly 1 h.p. motor with something bigger. I had an old Grizzly band saw with 3/4 h.p. motor that was gutless. I replaced it with a 1.5 h.p. motor from Tractor Supply. Talk about a difference! Of course the Tractor Supply motor probably weighed 3 times as much as the Grizzly.

That's a "C" face motor mount on your saw. If your electrician said he couldn't find a replacement it must be a non-standard hole spacing. It would take me about an hour to pull the end bell off a standard C face motor and re-drill/tap for the saw. Of course you could also drill four new holes in the mount.

My experience with motors is the capacitor or bearings fail first followed by the centrifugal switch. Capacitors and bearings are an easy fix at not much expense. Sometimes switches can be difficult, mostly to source. Windings almost never fail and if they do it's because of an extreme overload with no motor protection. Chinese motors all bets are off.

If you spent the money on a new Grizzly motor what would the saw be worth? I might shop for a new Euro saw or an old made in the USA saw before sending more money to Grizzly.
    Larry