Thread: Latex or oil base paint on cabinets?

Latex or oil base paint on cabinets?

I'm building new cabinets and shelving for our utility/laundry room, maple ply with poplar face frames. Wife wants everything painted an off white. I've sprayed SW ProClassic latex and I've use oil based before on some smaller cabinet projects. I like using latex, it's so easy to work with but seems like oil based dries to a harder, more durable finish. Was looking for suggestions on which product you would use on laundry cabinets?
    thanks-

ProClassic (which is 100% acrylic, not "latex" despite any labeling) would be my choice and it's very durable. It's what's in my kitchen for all the whites, including cabinetry, at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, thanks for your reply. I have had good experience spraying ProClassic just wasn't sure about the durability on laundry area cabinets. Guess I think of all water solvent paints as "latex", kinda like calling all soft drinks "Coke".
    Last edited by julian abram; 07-28-2017 at 6:49 PM.

Actually, you are correct Julian. ProClassic is a latex paint. Just look at the label on the can. People get confused, and the paint company marketing folks have made it even more confusing by marketing wall paint as latex and most trim and cabinet paint as "water borne" or some, similar terminology. Water borne is still latex. All latex means is "water emulsion of a synthetic resin".

Ok, back to the paint job at hand. ProClassic is very nice stuff and should work just fine if you are set up to spray it. BM Advance, an alkyd waterborne is also very nice stuff, but takes a lot longer to dry and cure. GF's Enduro White Poly also is really nice, dries very quickly and very hard, but is a lot more expensive than the other two products.

John

John thanks for the info on the paint. I also own you a big thank you from a thread a few weeks ago where you steered me to Jeff Hewitt Homestead Refinishing in choosing a new spray gun. Based on Jeff's recommendation I purchased LVLP PPS kit gun that has worked great for my last project. Having a pressured cup liner so you can spray upside down is the cat's meow. Thanks!

Glad you are liking the new spray gun, Julian. And I agree, being able to spray at any angle is reason enough to get the PPS system. I recently convinced one of my friends to get a PPS system for his Fuji turbine gun. Jeff fixed him right up, too.

John