Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless help

wireless help

woke up this morning went to my lap top to download paper work and it tells me I have no wireless connection available. Funny because yesterday and the previous 5 years it had wireless and everything worked just fine. I tried the trouble shooter no help. Does anyone know how to get it working again?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Try rebooting the router and your computer.

yea I've done all the trouble shooting, rebooting, updated drivers, and all that stuff still says no connection available
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Do you have internet when you plug the laptop directly into the router?

Yes I just ran a 50 cable so I can download this paperwork. Still need the wireless fixed, I'll be tripping over this cable all the time and now the cat wants to play with the wire LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Do you have internet when you plug the laptop directly into the router?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Probably need a new modem. When we lived on the west coast Telus provided them. Here we buy our own. Our Apple airport kacked after 7 months just after a series of big lightning storms went through the area. Everything else plugged into the power bar are fine. Now we wait for the service centre to tell us it doesn't work and whether we get a new one on warranty or not.

Go into device manager and uninstall your wireless adapter then restart and search for new hardware

Is your laptop the only wireless device you have? If not, do other devices connect? Can you connect your laptop to other networks (like Starbucks?)This will narrow down whether it is your router or laptop that has the problem.

Any chance you've upgraded from Win7 or 8 to Win10 recently?
    After my Win10 update, I continually need to refresh my IP for some reason.

I have Win10 and have had it for quite a while and don't have any problems with my WiFi. I suspect the wireless part of the unit died. The new Wireless routers are quite a bit better than the older ones. I recently put a new one in my shop and the range is much further than with my old one. Just for that, I'd recommend getting a new unit. Look for the wireless routers with multiple antennas (my new one has four antennas).

I have two wireless routers in my home and I'm thinking of replacing the other one for the same reason - range.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

As the others have said, unplug and restart everything starting at the wall. Modem first then router (if separate) then PC. Do you have a phone that has WiFi? Whether that works or not should help narrow it down to modem/router or PC. If you suspect the PC, there are some pretty reasonable USB WiFi adapters available on Amazon or Ebay. I'm not sure what's available at Walmart/Staples/Bestbuy etc. etc. I'm not a Windows user for the most part but Windows 10 installs updates whenever it feels like it. Could a Windows Update be the cause?

My laptop continually loses the wifi connection ......... not a big deal because we don't use it for anything important... I run the troubleshooter and it resets my wireless adaptor and everything is fine again. I'm pretty sure it's the wireless adaptor in the laptop that's acting up. I've taken it out and cleaned the connections a few times. The problem isn't bad enough for me to worry about but I'm pretty sure if I got a new adaptor it would fix the problem.... possibly you need a new wireless adaptor for the laptop?

yes my phone connects, my wireless speaker and headphones all work I've tried all the suggestions nothing works. I updated all drivers disconnected everything, rebooted ya da yada yada and still no connection, So were is the wire less adapter and how do I replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    My laptop continually loses the wifi connection ......... not a big deal because we don't use it for anything important... I run the troubleshooter and it resets my wireless adaptor and everything is fine again. I'm pretty sure it's the wireless adaptor in the laptop that's acting up. I've taken it out and cleaned the connections a few times. The problem isn't bad enough for me to worry about but I'm pretty sure if I got a new adaptor it would fix the problem.... possibly you need a new wireless adaptor for the laptop?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have one of these in one of my laptops

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...USB_20_Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    yes my phone connects, my wireless speaker and headphones all work I've tried all the suggestions nothing works. I updated all drivers disconnected everything, rebooted ya da yada yada and still no connection, So were is the wire less adapter and how do I replace it.
    Mine is in the bottom of the laptop...one screw and the cover comes of then I just pulled out the small wireless card. For your laptop just search for where it is and I'm sure you will be able to get at it. Mine is about 1/3 of the size of a memory chip