Thread: Plumbing access panels that fit around pipes?

Plumbing access panels that fit around pipes?

Is there a product or a good design for a plumbing access panel that would fit around the drain and water supply pipes for sinks?

The opportunity to install plumbing access panels on the side of the wall where the pipes exit is far more common that the opportunity to install a panel on the opposite side of the wall. Could the access be provided by two panels that meet along an irregular seam so that each can be easily be removed from around the pipes?

Blog Entries
    What is it that I am missing?

To get access to any of my plumbing a door is opened to the cabinet that holds the sink.

An access panel for a bath tub or shower might be handy, but usually the idea is you don't need to get in there and work on these things often enough to have permanent access.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What is it that I am missing?

To get access to any of my plumbing a door is opened to the cabinet that holds the sink.

You're missing the fact that an access panel provides access to the plumbing that's inside the wall, not the plumbing that sticks out from the wall.

Blog Entries
    I don't know of any product, but I made an access panel for behind my water heater (to access the piping for whole house water filter, input for cold water, branch for water heater feed, both legs of hot water recirculating loop, hose bib feed, and runs to serve rest of the house). Obviously, a complicated and congested area. I used a pair of overlapping panels that could slide around the pipes coming out of the wall. The panels are 1/4" plywood and screwed to studs on each side. It took a lot of careful measuring.

I don't know of any product that would work.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    You're missing the fact that an access panel provides access to the plumbing that's inside the wall, not the plumbing that sticks out from the wall.
    I guess what I am missing is having to get into the walls to work on the plumbing on a regular basis.

If plumbing is done well, it shouldn't need much attention.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Stephen - If you could explain why and what size of access you need it may help

Otherwise, I also am confused why you need what you describe, but this may help.

"Plumbing escutcheon" Marc

https://www.google.com/search?q=plum...w=1024&bih=652
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 07-29-2017 at 9:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Is there a product or a good design for a plumbing access panel that would fit around the drain and water supply pipes for sinks?

The opportunity to install plumbing access panels on the side of the wall where the pipes exit is far more common that the opportunity to install a panel on the opposite side of the wall. Could the access be provided by two panels that meet along an irregular seam so that each can be easily be removed from around the pipes?
    I don't know why you couldn't.

I understand Jim's position, and with the advent of sheetrock access panels became a thing of the past many years ago. They didn't used to be uncommon when walls were lath and plaster and repairing them was a big deal if you had to get to some plumbing.
    Depending on the age and construction of your house, you may have them.
    They're not uncommon in New England.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I used a pair of overlapping panels that could slide around the pipes coming out of the wall. The panels are 1/4" plywood and screwed to studs on each side. It took a lot of careful measuring.
    Thank you for that example. It encourages me to try a similar thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    They didn't used to be uncommon when walls were lath and plaster and repairing them was a big deal if you had to get to some plumbing.
    That's a good point. The house of my childhood had plaster walls and some plumbing access panels. I don't recall seeing access panels in any of my later residences that had drywall.

These types of panels are common in office rest rooms. Here what came up at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/Plumbing%...20panel?NCNI-5

I made a removable panel to get at the shut off valves under my Jacuzzi tub. Why they don't build them that way I don't understand.

Access plumbing panels are very common around here especially for showers and tubs but as the OP noted usually on the outside wall where no pipes are protruding. Under a sink where the supplies and drain line are, if shutoffs cannot be installed accessible from the basement or a backed up closet wall they should be installed as part of the protruding pipes under the sink. In this case an access panel is not required unless you have a "catastrophic" in wall pipe failure. ("Catastrophic" in quotes because this is rarely life threatening, just wicked costly and super aggravating, though exceedingly rare IME.)

Still to the OP's question, it could be sufficient to fit dry wall around the pipes all finished with metal escutcheons around the pipes, or use a panel with tiles or some other material but do it in a small piece way that you know it's there and can be removed in an emergency without destroying the surrounding wall. These panels can be attached with caulking or screwed to the wall covered with a piece of baseboard down low and screws higher up where they are not visible unless you are on your knees. The sheetrock seams can be taped and easily cut away if necessary. The important thing is that you know that the section is removable. If you have out of wall shutoffs you will very, very likely NEVER need access in your lifetime.

If you don't have shutoffs and for some reason they can't be incorporated after the fact I can imagine that a removable panel will provide peace of mind. In that case just attach to the closest studs maybe tape over seams with masking tape and use pan head screws. Everything painted will be what it is - a removable panel. I actually have a wooden 1x6 v match boards panel in my downstairs bath that is all removable. In this case the wall is only 6' long x half wall height of 30". It terminates at one end in a corner with a corner sink - all the pipes entering from that side wall. I built the entire wall to be removable. The seams at the corners are obviously not tight and there are screw heads showing but only the most attentive guest will ever notice. It is not at all objectionable. I could have covered the seams with wood trim but that broke up the otherwise pure line of details in the room .
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 07-30-2017 at 9:24 AM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge