Thread: Mobile Issue

Mobile Issue

This started about a month or so ago. I can go to SMC on my mobile phone using Forum Runner and bring up the different forums, but, when I click on an individual post, it doesn't open. I get this message(below) popping up. Is this a SMC issue or is it a Forum Runner Issue. If it is Forum Runner issue, can you recommend a different Mobile app to use with SMC?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Screenshot_20170728-162308.png

Jim,

We have been having problems with vBulletin for some time now and mobile access for even longer.

At this point we are concentrating on converting SawMill Creek to the Xenforo software which natively supports mobile access. We have a very long list of things that have to be done before we can bring Xenforo online so be patient with us its a long uphill battle.

Blog Entries
    I use Fire Fox on my Samsung phone for looking at SMC.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Jim,

We have been having problems with vBulletin for some time now and mobile access for even longer.

At this point we are concentrating on converting SawMill Creek to the Xenforo software which natively supports mobile access. We have a very long list of things that have to be done before we can bring Xenforo online so be patient with us its a long uphill battle.
    No problem Keith, I just glad to know it's not on my end and that you all are working on it. I assume that when you change over, we're going to automatically know it??
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I assume that when you change over, we're going to automatically know it??
    OH, yea...you'll know it...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    OH, yea...you'll know it...
    I will assume you mean that in a good way!😁

Thanks for the tip Lee. I loaded Firefox on my Samsung Android and loaded SMC.....it works like a charm.
    This will be my :go to" until the changeover.
    Thanks again,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I will assume you mean that in a good way!
    Yes, the UI for Xenforo is similar to most forum software, including what we are using now, but there are enough differences that the change-over will be noticeable. One example I'll use is that what is now called "private messages" is called "conversations" in Xenforo. There will be a short learning curve around some of these little things, but in the end, the site will run better, have more features and be natively supported for folks using mobile devices, which is pretty much the direction a large percentage of forum and social media users these days. I experienced this same transition at another forum I help moderate, and things went very smoothly. Aaron already did a "quick and dirty" conversion of SMC in a private setting so that the moderation team could play with it and make suggestions around features, etc., and it pretty much "worked out of the box". The heavy work is what he and Keith are doing now in their copious free time and that's making the generic conversion into "SMC" and tailoring the software behavior so that it's consistent with our community and TOS. I'm personally looking forward to when they can bring it online, given the nature of all the issues with vBulletin.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds good.... looking forward to using it. Learning curves are a good thing.....when the end result is a better experience.

Jim

Jim,
    I just purchased forum runner and am having the same issue.

Mods,
    It may be a good idea to remove the message at the top of the forums, saying purchase forum runner to upload pic's or whatever it says.
    Would've saved me from wasting $2

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Jim,
    I just purchased forum runner and am having the same issue.

Mods,
    It may be a good idea to remove the message at the top of the forums, saying purchase forum runner to upload pic's or whatever it says.
    Would've saved me from wasting $2

Michael, thanks for pointing that out. I have removed the Forum Runner thread you referenced.

Bruce
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney