Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple Salad Bowl

Maple Salad Bowl

This piece of soft maple came from the childhood home of a good friend of mine that is a potter. It is 11 1/2" W x 3 3/8" H. It is a piece of wood that came from one of the crouches of the tree and has some non-black line spalting. It also has a small bit of turquoise on the inside of the bowl and a larger area on the outside of the bowl. This is one of my favorite salad bowl turnings. C&C welcomed.
    IMG_0099-1.jpg IMG_0102-1.jpg

Very nice Steve. It's always great to make something out of wood that has some meaning to it.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful piece, Steve.
    How come none of the wood I drag home looks like that on the inside......aside from the fact that most of it is Osage Orange?

Well done! Right in the middle of the piece is the profile of a bearded man looking downward.... fascinating!

im curious on your turquoise technique... do you put the turquoise powder in the void and then overfill the area with ca glue and then turn it (sand it?) flush? Do you use epoxy instead? Or perhaps a combination? I'm looking to add this technique to my repertoire so any education is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    This piece of soft maple came from the childhood home of a good friend of mine that is a potter. It is 11 1/2" W x 3 3/8" H. It is a piece of wood that came from one of the crouches of the tree and has some non-black line spalting. It also has a small bit of turquoise on the inside of the bowl and a larger area on the outside of the bowl. This is one of my favorite salad bowl turnings. C&C welcomed.
    IMG_0099-1.jpg IMG_0102-1.jpg
    Nice one Steve, both the wood and shape are excellent with lots going on in the wood, yes a real nice one.
    Have fun and take care

Harold, I put the granular turquoise in the hole and pack it in with a dental pick and then add more turquoise to make it just proud of the surface. I then use thin CA to glue it in. Once that is dry I then add a layer of medium CA. This helps fill some of the voids that did not get filled with the thin CA. Once filled I then make my finishing cuts to smooth/blend it in with the wood surface.

If the hole that I'm filling is exceptionally large or deep, I will layer the turquoise and CA it in in layers. That helps ensure a solid gluing of all of the turquoise.

Thanks everyone. This was definitely an exceptional piece of wood. God does amazing artwork.

My favorite wood for salad bowls! You've done a great job creating a pleasing and functional shape.

Beautiful bowl, what finish did you use?
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Maria, the finish is an oil finish that I dip my turnings in. It is equal part of BLO, Danish Oil and WOP. After it drys for about four days, I Beall buff. In this case, since it is a salad bowl, I did not try to get a high gloss buff on it.

Impressive!! Beautiful wood but I have to admit that the form steals the show for me! Very nice work and definitely a bowl that you will want to show off! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow, that's beautiful both in form and wood choice. You got a nice piece of maple there and did it justice.
    USMC '97-'01

Great piece! But no one has mentioned the cat face at top left ,or the flying bird at lower right!

That is beautiful Steve. Really a great shape to match the wood.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Great piece! But no one has mentioned the cat face at top left ,or the flying bird at lower right!
    Ha! I hadn't noticed that but I see it now!

This really is a very nice piece! The beauty of that particular piece of wood just adds to an outstanding form.
    RD