Thread: Jet 1840DVR

Jet 1840DVR

Has anyone purchased the new Jet1840 DVR or had an opportunity to use one ? Is it available, i see it listed with dealers but can't seam to find any reviews.. the Revo 1836 laguna looks like a nice lathe at a very affordable price for a 2hp lathe, but the one year warranty concerns me on a new product..
    Last edited by Steve Nix; 07-30-2017 at 9:47 AM.

I think you mean the Revo 18-36. I have the Laguna 18-36. I am very happy with it as it has the features I want. For me the warranty was a very minor item. The Jet 1840 appears to be a nice lathe. I haven't seen one. It has features the Laguna doesn't such as rotating headstock and longer bed. Nice, but I didn't want to spend the extra money. To me it is best to compare features and cost.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Steve, I don't have the 1840 but I did recently buy the 1640. The motor and spindle height differences aside I think they are very similar. I'm extremely happy with the 1640. It feels well built, the new style banjo and extension make turning with the headstock rotated easy and for me the five year warranty was an important factor. One thing I did end up buying that I wish Jet included was a Nova 2MTNA Acruline alignment tool which makes for quick and easy alignment of the headstock and tailstock. Its worth the $17 to have. There is a lot of discussion on whether the DVR is preferred over the EVS motor, for me I have no issue with my EVS or the fact that my motor is 115v instead of the 1840's 220v. I have turned out of balance logs and up to a 16" platter and have never once stalled the motor. I'm quite happy with 1640 and I would assume that the 1840 is equally as nice. Hope this helps.

I have an older 1642 120v machine, and coring WILL stall the machine. The DVR motor is supposed to have a higher top speed and lower bottom speed and no need to change belts as the torque is always there. disclaimer - I only have the Jet representative's word on that and have not turned on one. I was looking for a machine with a high top end speed for turning minitatures that was still a *real* lathe and not a plastic toy (proxonn). I saw the machine at the Atlanta AAW symposium.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Just to make it harder, Craft Supply just sent an email announcing the Powermatic 3520B is 20% off - $3199.99. Don't know what shipping is. Craft Supply has a reward program where you get $15 for every $500 spent.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Just to make it harder, Craft Supply just sent an email announcing the Powermatic 3520B is 20% off - $3199.99. Don't know what shipping is. Craft Supply has a reward program where you get $15 for every $500 spent.
    Great price on the 3520b and it looks like there are numerous dealers offering that price for the month of August. Craft Supply's ad states that the Powermatic 3520b doesn't qualify for the reward program. When I talked with Craft Supply last month they said their reward program doesn't include machinery purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    Great price on the 3520b and it looks like there are numerous dealers offering that price for the month of August. Craft Supply's ad states that the Powermatic 3520b doesn't qualify for the reward program. When I talked with Craft Supply last month they said their reward program doesn't include machinery purchases.
    Must have changed the policy or did me a favor as I got rewards on my Laguna in May.

I talked with them in June when I was getting ready to buy my Jet 1640 and they said no rewards for equipment purchases. It would have only been $60 for my lathe so it wasn't a big deal but its worth checking before making a purchase.