Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panel for web frame under drawer-- why bother?

Panel for web frame under drawer-- why bother?

Any guess as to why the designer of this blanket chest puts a panel at the bottom (in the web frame)??

I was thinking about skipping the panel. You can't see it. What's the point?

Screenshot_20170730-092313.jpg

Blog Entries
    Structure and mice...

I think it is there for the drawer to ride on and to keep dust out.

Blog Entries
    I have built web frames with dust panels

CoD back (2).jpg

and without.

GnG Low CoD (87).jpg

I have one of each in the master bedroom of my own home and notice no problems with dust or critters. We are not superb housekeepers but, manage well enough to not panic at the occasional unexpected visitor . We also have a quarterly bug service but, we live in a desert basin area and the wife doesn't like things with more than two eyes.

There is certainly some strength benefit if the piece will be subject to frequent relocations. All in all, unless you live in the Little House on the Prairie I would say they are optional but, that's JMHO.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-30-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The panel is solid lumber, so it floats, right? If it is floating, it is not tied tightly to the frame surrounding it. If it is not tied to anything, how does it add any structural strength?

Blog Entries
    Whats solid lumber? The frame keeps it square...Panels for expansion and contraction...

My bad....I'm thinking he's removing the frame as well. Getting ready for fishing this morning and scanned the post too fast....
    Last edited by jack duren; 07-30-2017 at 11:50 AM.

What do you save by not putting it in? Without it, a mouse or? will get in there someday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The panel is solid lumber, so it floats, right? If it is floating, it is not tied tightly to the frame surrounding it. If it is not tied to anything, how does it add any structural strength?
    Correct for a floating panel . My panels are 1/4" BB ply so definitely straying from the traditional floating panel. About 4" of glue in the middle of each edge is my current method.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Floating panels float on the sides not the top and bottom. They add to the integrity.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

As other posters have stated, it's called a dust panel, doesn't add anything to the structure of the web frame, when I use them they fully float. The dust panels purpose was to minimize various critters from contaminating drawers..

In the past, the dust panel detail was/is super common on better period furniture, critters were much more common back in the day, then in today's homes (we hope).
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 07-30-2017 at 1:13 PM.

I have been told that dust panels were also for security. In colonial times clothes were very expensive, so clothing dressers had locks on the drawers and kept each compartment separated. Critters were also more common of course.

Its taking a shortcut, So where do you stop? Pocket screws next?

Mediocrity is contagious, help stamp out mediocrity now!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

My last piece used mortise and twin tenon joinery with hand-cut dovetail drawers (with solid cedar bottoms). I didn't have panels on the bottom web frame!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

meh. I'd just put a full plywood deck in it and skip the frame. Do stretchers below each drawer opening front and back, and call it good.

I'd pocket screw the frame together. We're not using glue technology from the 1400's, so why use the joinery? Is mortise and tenon better? Yep. Are you planning on taking the dresser skydiving any time soon?

Blog Entries
    Dust panels provide several functions. They keep clothing items, dust and debris from above falling into the drawer below, they prevent critters from migrating through the drawers and they also prevent over stuffed drawers from interfering with the operation of the drawers above.

Using dust panels is a personal preference, not all heirloom furniture makers used them. I've made dressers without them and regretted it later. I've never had an issue where they were used. Leaving out dust panels saves some time and material. The panels can be made from solid material, but you have to account for seasonal movement or you can use plywood or even tempered hardboard. Plywood panels can be glued in place and would add strength to the structure if that was done, but the frames alone should be sufficient for strength. I make all my frames using lap joints which makes them strong and if cut accurately, they help make your carcase square.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute