Thread: Move a Wireless Router

Move a Wireless Router

I want to move my DSL wireless router from an upstairs bedroom to the lower level of the home.
    Is it as simple as unplugging it from the phone jack upstairs and plug it back in downstairs (same phone line) or will I mess something up?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I want to move my DSL wireless router from an upstairs bedroom to the lower level of the home.
    Is it as simple as unplugging it from the phone jack upstairs and plug it back in downstairs (same phone line) ...
    Yes. Unless you have a problem with the wiring in the new location or with devices getting the signal from the router. Try it.

If you have DSL, there may be DSL filters on connections to phones in your home, so while you can move the DSL modem/router to any active phone jack, you'll need to be sure that there isn't a filter (a plug in device) between the DSL modem/router and the home demark.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Is it as simple as unplugging it from the phone jack upstairs and plug it back in downstairs (same phone line) or will I mess something up?
    you will need to move the modem if it is a separate component.

I would check with your provider.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I doubt it'd break anything to simply move it and see if it works, If it doesn't work, move it back. The only problem I had with DSL is where I had a phone line - not even the one the 'modem' was plugged into - running close to and parallel to a 120 volt line, no DSL network. I moved the phone line away from the AC line and everything worked.