Thread: Just finished my new kitchen table

Just finished my new kitchen table

I just finished my third major woodworking project. It is a trestle table for my kitchen. The top is 59.5” long and 31.5” wide.

The table was designed to address a few problems we had with space in the kitchen. The breakfast nook is too small for a traditional table and chair set, so I built the bench a while back to save space. That worked, but the legs on our existing kitchen table blocked any attempt to slide into the bench. This table is designed to allow people to slide into the bench seats and to maximize the leg room in such a small space.

The table top it made of black walnut, and the base is made of poplar and painted white. I filled the grain on the top, rubbed in some Danish oil, applied a wash coat of shellac, and then applied nine wiped coats of Behlen's Rockhard Table Top Varnish (I plan to rub out a satin finish once the varnish cures in a month or so).

The joinery for the base was the most difficult part to figure out because I had 3 boards intersecting at the bottom and tops of the legs.

Those problems were solved after receiving a ton of helpful advice here at SMC (Here is a link to the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ion&highlight=)

The bottom stretcher and feet are half-lapped together, and the legs are attached to the bottom with wedged double mortise and tenon joints going through the lap joint. At the top of the base, the table supports and legs are half-lapped together, and the top stretcher is joined to the legs with sliding dovetails.

IMG_3556.jpgIMG_3547.jpgIMG_3545.jpgIMG_3549.jpgIMG_3530.jpgIMG_3527.jpg

You do nice work Brad!

Very nice table - pretty with simple lines.

Blog Entries
    Great looking table..... Love that top.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Nicely done! Looks good.