Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a favorite stand-up comic?

No one has mentioned Jeff Dunham... he's a ventriloquist and I especially like his dummy Walter.... the others not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    No one has mentioned Jeff Dunham... he's a ventriloquist and I especially like his dummy Walter.... the others not so much.
    Thanks for the reminder!
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

He's long gone and I'm showing my age, but I liked Red Skelton.

Wow. Not a single woman listed??

How about Ellen DeGeneres, Chelsea Handler, Wanda Sykes, Roseanne Barr, Carol Burnett, Rita Rudner, Sarah Silverman, Phyllis Diller, Lily Tomlin, Whoopi Goldberg, Sandra Bernhard, Lisa Lampanelli, Tig Notaro and so many more!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Jonathan Winters could make me laugh just walking on stage.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Jonathan Winters could make me laugh just walking on stage.
    He was good,kind of a "mad scientist". Strangely nutty and crafty. In interviews he even claimed to make crank calls to people he hadn't seen in years; then he would repeat some of both sides of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Wow. Not a single woman listed??

How about Ellen DeGeneres, Chelsea Handler, Wanda Sykes, Roseanne Barr, Carol Burnett, Rita Rudner, Sarah Silverman, Phyllis Diller, Lily Tomlin, Whoopi Goldberg, Sandra Bernhard, Lisa Lampanelli, Tig Notaro and so many more!
    The list was supposed to be about favorite stand ups and none of those make my list. Carol Burnett and Lily Tomlin are legends, but I've never seen either do stand up - the same with Lucille Ball, who you did not mention. Ellen is funny, but not one of my favorites. I thought she was much better in her sitcom. I liked watching Rita Rudner, mostly because I thought she was cute, but her timing is forced. The rest I either haven't seen or unfortunately, I have seen. I don't like raw crassness or a lot body humor, or people who try to shock or embarrass me into laughing. It's cheap.

The one female I considered was Joan Rivers, but I could only take so much of her shtick.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I agree with the late Christofer Hitchens. Can't quote exactly but it stated the obvious....women don't need to be funny. Men certainly do!!

I like Sarah Silverman. She makes me uncomfortable in the same way Louis CK does.

I thought I would be the first to mention Jonathan Winters, the predecessor to Robin Williams. Winters was from my home town.

Richard Pryor, Roger Miller, ( I caught his Vegas act and couldn't stop laughing)
    Gilda Radner. Johnny Carson had his moments--frequently.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, gotcha beat by a few hours. I agree with all of your names. Loved Gilda Radner's "Nevermind!" It still cracks me up!

I'll throw in Bob Newhart too.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Buddy Hackett....he took "crazy" to a new level.

Totie Fields - what can you say? The woman had real heart & a show biz ethic....plus she was a natural at being funny & really enjoyed a good joke - even if she made herself the butt of it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Johnny Carson

Buddy Hackett reminded me of Bill Dana- and my dad, who used to do a dead on "My name, Jose Jimenez... "
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Jim Gaffigan, and Brian Regan.
    x50

I've seen Regan live. I think my face hurt for days. A young (early 20s) couple were sitting in front of us and laughing at his jokes, but the girlfriend kept asking what some words meant and her beau didn't have an answer. Wife and I got a kick out of that too.
    -Lud