Thread: What is best protection for window trim in a bathroom?

Blog Entries

Question What is best protection for window trim in a bathroom?

I am having my bathroom painted. There is a window in the shower with wood trim around it that appears to be stained with polyurethane over it. It will be painted white. The painter and I are worried that the wood will rot (it's built into the tiles so it cannot easily be removed and replaced with azek).
    I am thinking over what to put over the paint....polyurethane? spar varnish? etc.? The painter suggested a small curtain over the whole window, that was very quickly rejected by my wife so that is NOT an alternative.
    Thanks
    Dennis

why not a good exterior finish paint

Blog Entries
    Jerome
    Brilliant,sometimes the simplest solution is staring me right in the face and for some reason I don't see .
    Thanks
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    why not a good exterior finish paint
    4 coats of Latex.
    If it's thick as a bandaid it will flex and seams will never crack.

Can trim be replaced with PVC trim, then painted?

How difficult is it to remove the existing paint? if you can do this, then I would use a penetrating epoxy on the wood. After that, I would prime and paint using the toughest most durable paint that I could find. I have some stuff used by boat builders. I applied it to some "funky" wood on external trim that is now holding up just fine.I also used it on an outdoor swing seat, and a "park bench" that I refinished a few years back. I am a fan.

When I had lots of trim damage, I simply removed the trim and replaced it with fake wood.

Have you considered Azak? It is available in several trim varieties.