Thread: What would you, or could you use a 277 volt motor for?

What would you, or could you use a 277 volt motor for?

There’s a NIB 2HP, 3450RPM, 1PH, 60HZ, 56C, 277V, 12.6 Amp Baldor motor for sale on my CL for $75.
    Seems like a great deal for a Baldor motor

albuquerque.craigslist.org/tls/d/new-baldor-motor-hp-rpm-volt/6237203236.html
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I wonder if it has taps for alternative voltages?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In a typical industrial building, you have 480v 3 phase power. That lets you connect 480v 3ph, 480v 1ph, and 277v 1ph depending on which wires you hook up in the wiring. So you can run all those motors on the same supply. That is why most industrial building use 277v for lighting. If you have that supply, you have to use a transformer to supply 240v 3 phase to another breaker box. That will be used for the offices and other circuits for smaller motors.
    The big advantage of that motor is you can easily use it next to heavier equipment.

Light industrial and commercial buildings generally have 240v 3ph or 208v 3ph supply and would be messy to run 277v 1ph.

I've seen lots of 277v motors and never seen them have a tap for lower voltage as they are designed for heavy industrial environments. You can easily use an autotransformer to convert 240v to 277v using the +13% taps.

Boat anchor with long enough rope. Check with local salvage yard before buying any three phase motors. As the rotor and bearings are the only moving parts, they usually need new bearings as they were pulled from service because of bad bearings.

Bruce, this is a new-in-box single phase motor.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yes, it's meant for use in a 480 volt WYE system where the line to neutral voltage is 277 volts.

The cost of a transformer to run this would make it impractical.

Most likely it's a condenser fan motor from an HVAC system.............Rod.

Pretty sure that motor originally may have been like ballpark $600, but it's kindoff an oddball, very narrow market, slow seller, hence not high resale $ value.

If you have time and enjoy trading, What I have done before a few times is swap w Electric Motor rewind shops.

Again, if you want to play with it, contact the link below and ask them what trade value they would give to you.

Also, note the second link... Nice photo of the nameplate.. looks like same one from same guy... he's tried to sell it for some months now..

Good luck, Marc

https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...w=1035&bih=663

ebay.com/itm/NEW-NIB-Baldor-Motor-2-HP-3450-RPM-35C013P383G1-277-Volt-Industrial-/232225433269?nma=true&si=sphLHRn8XqINu2r6XnIn7tcZk Ys%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l255 7

ebay.com/itm/NEW-NIB-Baldor-Motor-2-HP-3450-RPM-35C013P383G1-277-Volt-Industrial-/332319527685?hash=item4d5fc99305:g:iVEAAOSw5cNYkhV o
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-01-2017 at 12:53 PM.

The nameplate says "USABLE AT 208V". It should work fine at 240V without derating the HP (note the current rating). Looks like a good deal.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I would doublecheck what David said w one of those motor shops, and if David is correct, go GRAB it.

Marc

Not doubting him, just wanna make positive overall it will work.

He may be on to something there. Marc

Thanks for the info. I've been casually looking for a ~2hp motor. This one has more issues than I want to deal with.

Andy Rooney

David knows motors and electricity. I'd risk $75 on his word. Noticing that statement about operation at 208V is something that everyone else apparently missed.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Yes, it's meant for use in a 480 volt WYE system where the line to neutral voltage is 277 volts.

The cost of a transformer to run this would make it impractical.

Most likely it's a condenser fan motor from an HVAC system.............Rod.

The rated voltage for a motor intended for use at 277 volts would be 265 volts, it must have been made for custom application.