Thread: Is all black locust good outside, or just the heartwood?

Is all black locust good outside, or just the heartwood?

I have found this on CL. Since the boards are two colors, I figure they are part heartwood and part sapwood. Will it all weather well? I want them for a raised bed garden.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought it was all good - seen plenty of photos of black locust used as support poles just driven into the soil and it lasts for years. Lumber yards don't differentiate between heart and sap on the items I've seen for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I have found this on CL. Since the boards are two colors, I figure they are part heartwood and part sapwood. Will it all weather well? I want them for a raised bed garden.
    Should be fine. I cut black locust timbers on my sawmill for raised garden beds and they've been in the ground for nearly 10 years. I just cut what I could get from the log and didn't pay any attention to sapwood or heartwood.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    My grand parents used split black locust for fence posts and they would last for years and years. I saw no difference in life between the heartwood and softwood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Black locust is unusual in that it only has one or two annual rings of sapwood. That is one way to ID it in log form. Since there is so little sapwood in black locust, its effect is insignificant, so, you are good to go.

Locust in the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I built a wood storage shed 35 years ago using 4x4 locusts posts straight from the sawmill. I had had a log sawn up without concern for sapwood/heartwood. The posts are still intact.

That stuff is HARD. While trimming the planted posts to height, sparks flew from the chainsaw.